Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is this legal? I can't imagine so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a hosting account with globat. Out of the blue, and 4 months before my year is up I get an email from them about "an automatic upgrade" where they will charge my card $29 to upgrade to a different package - unless I copied something out of the email and replied with it in the subject line.

I don't know what the contract says, but it doesn't sound legit to me...

Here is the hilarious intro to the email:

Since we began our upgrade program to the new
TeraByte Plus Hosting level a few weeks ago, we have received lots of feedback from our customers who only heard about these upgrade promotions too late or through a friend. Many customers then suggested that we utilize an automatic upgrade process along with some form of an additional
incentive to initiate these upgrades. Well, we have listened to your
feedback and we are ready to act!

Domain Days 2024

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds kind of like a domain transfer...

Example:
"If you do not want this name transferred click the link below.
Otherwise your name will be moved to the new registar"

Take action if you do not want something.

wienerdog

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no universal hosting contract. You agreed to something. And you probably agreed that the terms could be modified at your host's request with 30-days notice with the option for you to cancel within X days.

That doesn't make it fair, or good business. That's just life.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, but you agree to a yearly fee. If the terms change they should change at the end of his term. In addition, why have to "upgrade" your plan. Most hosts will keep you at the current plan and you will pay more only if you "wish" to upgrade.

What host are you referring to?

Wienerdog, what you are reffering to is a buy out of one host to another. If host A buys out host B they will usually send an email saying you have 30 days to blah blah blah or we will cancel. This is a good reason to stick with a large host which has a name everyone knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom