Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is this the new policy ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well,

so i started the "what about an official announcment" thread.
Me.
Not the mods or anybody else.
Now i found that thread to be closed.

Is that the new policy?

If i remember it right, so far the policy on closing threads was

a) could only be done on request by the person who started the thread

b) could be closed by mods if inappropriate language etc. was going on

Neither of both is the case in above mentioned thread.

In the past, only a very few threads have been closed by mods and only in cases where some kind of unacceptable language or fights were going on,i.e. happened very rarely and mods were always *very* careful and cautious about if to close a thread or not.

I noticed this way of closing threads in more than one instance and i have to say it really pisses me off to find threads i can't post to anymore just because the mods/new owner has closed a thread they don't like for whatever reason.

Listen guys, as said i welcome the changes, i welcome any positive vibe, i understand new management has to kind of get warm with the unwritten rules here and so on but:

You haven't bought the members, which means if you think just because you now "own" this place you can close threads anytime you don't agree with an opinion or someones opinion or suggestions don't fit your needs, you sooner or later might find out that the members don't appreciate this kind of style at all.

Remember, to transform a forum into a money-making machine might be possible but it's *nothing* without the members, their contributions and their will to contribute which might be affected when you go on like that.

Let's see how long it takes til *this* thread gets closed.

Again, i still wish the new owners all the best for this place and some of the changes indeed look promising - still i will reserve the right to say what i want as long as its not insulting and i protest against this way of closing threads.

P.S. If you believe a board can be run without controversial opinions or opinions that you as the owners might not like, then think again.

Upvote 0

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to stay out of these threads but quite honestly I'm tired of looking at them. How would you like it if you had a board and everyone under the sun was starting threads b*tchin and moanin about every little thing. I'm sure this is why the thread was closed and they should probably all be closed.

It's not good for any of us if they are bringing new traffic and the traffic see's a bunch of threads like this. Give the new guys a chance to either prove themselves or fail. Personally I think they will succeed because the foundation is layed and improvements are being made.

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well said beatz,
I to have tried to close threads that are old and ones that I started. I was just trying to delete the thread because a domain or domains had been sold in that particular thread so I was trying to clean the place up and provide more space but have yet been able to do so. :rolleyes:

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with Jolt, give them some time.

Mike

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well this board has been here long before the new owners and there are some unwritten rules;
i think it's more appropriate for the new owners to get a feeling how things are going on here than other way around.
And to close threads just because *they* feel it's not neccessary for someone to post a comment might not be how other members feel.
See, thats the thing about a *FORUM* - freedom of speech.
Frankly, i find it to be pretty arrogant to close a thread where all a member does is suggest an official statement of the new owners *on the board* versus sending out an email that lots of people might not read for several reasons.

I just don't like the way threads are closed because a mod feels it's not needed anymore - thats just something not to be decided by the mods.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They made an official annoucement yesterday by e-mail. It was also posted in another thread somewhere.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
It was also posted in another thread somewhere.

That's what i mean: "in another thread somewhere".
That's not the way to introduce yourself as the new owner to the members.
And as said, email might not be read by several people including me that get hundreds of spam emails everyday.

Anyway, my concern here isnt the announcement, it's the closing of threads.

I am the first to agree to give the new owners some time and all, but to start with refusing to make a sticky announcement and closing threads is not exactly what i guess is welcomed here by most.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about closing some of those old "Domains Wanted" threads
that go on forever.

S

Sammy

Originally posted by beatz
Anyway, my concern here isnt the announcement, it's the closing of threads.

The closing of threads will happen when there are ten asking the same question over and over ;)

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with Jolthost. Give the new guys a little bit of time, everything will get worked out.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biggedon
How about closing some of those old "Domains Wanted" threads
that go on forever.

Agree 100%! Plus, the thread starters there many times do NOT even come back to state if they have purchased or not. I hate when they don't revisit, and the thread goes on and on and on ... with no hopes of a sale. Waste of bandwidth.
Thanks.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost.com

Agree 100%! Plus, the thread starters there many times do NOT even come back to state if they have purchased or not. I hate when they don't revisit, and the thread goes on and on and on ...

Why is it necessary to state if you bought a name or not?

the person selling the name and the buyer both know a sale occured which is the most important. besides they may not post to say they got a name because no one offered a name they like.

also if you were to close a thread prematurely (and a buyer was still looking to find names) then he would need to create a new thread which will result in the same names being posted by the same people.

with no hopes of a sale.

surely the domains wanted threads are there as a service primarily for the person after the names. he is the one asking for it after all.

Waste of bandwidth.

it doesnt make a huge difference having a thread open or closed. the extra few posts it may get as time goes on would be pretty negligable in terms of bandwidth used.

while on the subject though a more pressing issue that needs addressing in the domains wanted section is the spamming that goes on. i would say 100% of all threads have people blatantly disregard the specifics of the requests and just post up any name they want. if a person asks for a 1 word .com specifically no one should post a 3 word .net and while its impractical to police it 24/7 any mod who happens to see this happen should remove the offending post. the other sales areas are for promoting a name for sale. the domains wanted is there to fill a specific need.

I dont mean to pick apart your post too much coolhost but i wanted to offer the flipside of the argument if you get what i mean ;)

Ciq

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
They made an official annoucement yesterday by e-mail. It was also posted in another thread somewhere.

Hmm odd, never got that email. I receive the regular newsletter with no problem.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nhlrat

The closing of threads will happen when there are ten asking the same question over and over ;)

Hey NHLRat. Although I see your point, please be aware different people tend to haunt only certain parts of the board. Just because there are multiple threads running on the same subject, does not mean they are redundant.

If you arbitrarily close a thread because there is another one with a similar subject, you may be cutting people off from both getting the information AND expressing their opinions. This will not endear you to your customers.

If it is a bandwidth or storage issue, there are hundreds of very old, outdated threads that can be easily deleted. As was stated before, keeping 6 month old requests for a domain name from someone who hasn't been seen for 4 months is pretty silly!

Let's keep smilin'! :D
WebCat

PS- I never got any Email notification either!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange.com Hmm odd, never got that email. I receive the regular newsletter with no problem.

As discussed at length in other threads too, a large number of us never got the email, though we have our email program coded for both html and text. Some of them also never saw the thread with the email as it kinda got lost in the shuffle.

The odd thing is I always got the past emails regarding the stats and the upcoming auctions.

S

Sammy

The email issue has been fixed now as well. Most members are reporting they are now getting the back log of messages they hadn't gotten for the past 3 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom