Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is this trademark infringement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the domain name HomeBusiness.com is trademarked (yes, it includes the .com), would using the domain Home-Business.com be in violation?

contact

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you are using Home-Business.com in the same line of business as the trademark owner.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It will be difficult to say outright whether domain-name.com infringes the trademarked domainname.com, as every case is to be decided on its own merits. However, you can imagine their attorney using arguments like confusingly similar (in this case, STRIKINGLY similar even though not identical because of the hyphen) and don't forget the dilution thingy.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"home business" sounds pretty generic to me.

As far as actual domains are concerned, If you use it in "good faith" I believe there is no real problem.

There is also supposedly no problem either, if you registered it in good faith (although you might need to convince UDRP panelist/s that you registered it in good faith).

These are of course just my own thoughts.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dotNetKing said:
If you use it in "good faith" I believe there is no real problem.
The problem is THEIR attorney will paint you as a "cybersquatter with bad faith" no matter what your original intentions are, even if you do have some good ones.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
The problem is THEIR attorney will paint you as a "cybersquatter with bad faith" no matter what your original intentions are, even if you do have some good ones.

Probably true.

I have actually registered quite a lot of domains unaware of a specific company or organisation using that name for their company. If a company who I have never heard of makes a claim, the fact that I never knew they existed would be something in my favour (I say hopefully!)

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good points. thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom