Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

is this type of advertising legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so many "views", but no replies... is it because it's a stupid question, or a hard question?
any advice is very appreciated!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many readers may not truly understand your question eg:-
as follows on this banner?
What does that mean? What banner?

Also it may be thought best to let one of the legal professionals answer your question.
However my advice is to be clearer and give more detail in your question.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understood the question. I didn't reply because I didn't feel competent to offer legal advice, which it looks like you are seeking.

From a marketing perspective, I think "alternative" is preferable to "replacement" because it is more accurate and lacks the baggage.

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you both. thank you. So we'll go with "alternative".

Mr Webname, the banner can be seen via that link... if you cannot see it, perhaps you haven't yet downloaded the Flash browser plugin.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clicknow.to said:
Mr Webname, the banner can be seen via that link... if you cannot see it, perhaps you haven't yet downloaded the Flash browser plugin.

Probably Norton ad-blocker.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your problem, if you were in the US, for example, does not arise from whether you use the word "replacement" or "alternative". The question has more to do with whether your use constitutes acceptable comparative advertising. While it is certainly clear that you consider your product to be a replacement for another product, since "X replacement" is the first thing that shows up in the ad, I don't really ever seem to catch what your product is called. The main impression I come away with is "X replacement". That is not a comparison of anything to anything, at least on the casual glance I gave it.

There is a name that comes up at the end, if you wait long enough, but it is not clear whether that is the name of a product, or a company that makes a product, or what.

"is it because it's a stupid question, or a hard question?"

Neither. It takes about ten seconds to ask a question which might require a considerable deal longer to provide an informative discussion of what might be relevant. Such discussions themselves are necessarily incomplete.

That and the fact that your ID says you are in France. Does anyone here know French law on the use of marks comparative advertising? I, for one, don't.

The simple answer to any question beginning, "Can I get into trouble for..." is usually yes.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
The simple answer to any question beginning, "Can I get into trouble for..." is usually yes.

words of wisdom :cool:

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for replying John!

So our product (software) is called "MindGem" (a file sharing client); maybe by reversing the ad and saying "MindGem, a Kazaa Alternative" constitutes acceptable comparative advertising according to US law?

Or is it recommended to leave our main competitor's name totally out of our advertizing? Which would be a pity because our product really does have several advantages and benefits.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
clicknow.to said:
Thank you for replying John!

So our product (software) is called "MindGem" (a file sharing client); maybe by reversing the ad and saying "MindGem, a Kazaa Alternative" constitutes acceptable comparative advertising according to US law?

Or is it recommended to leave our main competitor's name totally out of our advertizing? Which would be a pity because our product really does have several advantages and benefits over our competitor's.

If i were you i would simply refer to your competitor as your "competitor" and refrain from mentioning them by their official name.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see no reason to be that safe. As long as you are not commiting libel, naming your competitor is a time-honored advertising tactic.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"naming your competitor is a time-honored advertising tactic"

Again, maybe you know more about the law in France than I do, but while in the US "comparative advertising" is permissible, not every mention of one's competitor is necessarily permissible comparative advertising.

Consider the text "MindGem, A Kazaa Alternative" - Does that clearly state that MindGem is a competitive product, or does it state that "MindGem" is an alternative product also offered by the same people that make Kazaa? I can't speak for the average internet user to know how many would interpret the statement one way or another.

A survey of some comparative advertising issues is here:
http://www.inta.org/policy/res_compad.html

...and it appears that, at least at some point in time, the prevailing rules were stricter in the EU than in the US.

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it looks like we must give it a miss... we're just students and file sharing is already a controversial product so we cannot afford to step on any more peoples toes.

We'll probably just use that advertising on our site only. Would that be okay?
But we would prefer to display it publicly like this:
"MindGem, a Kazaa Alternative?"
(note the question mark) then on our site we could have a disclaimer: "MindGem is in no way associated with the developer's of Kazaa"
Is that permissible according to US law?

BTW: thanks for the link John

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom