Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is Whois Protection Transferable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

untitled

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask, if I were to purchase the WHOIS protection from GoDaddy, and then sold a name to someone, will the whois protection be valid after the transfer as well?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Good question. With other registrars, such as Fabulous and Moniker, the status of WHOIS shield after an account transfer remains as before. However, once you turn it off at Moniker, you can't re-enable it.
You might want to test it out or contact GoDaddy support.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I caught some drops that had privy prior to, and privy was still enabled when transferred to my account.

but don't know if that's an "across the board" policy or registrar specific.

they were moniker names though.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, GoDaddy will send you a message confirming cancellation of products when you push a name (if that's what you mean by transfer).

If not, buy the transfer domain with whois protection and transfer it in... that may work.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You just cannot ever transfer the privacy feature of a YoYoDaddy domain (or any of its resellers) after it changes registrant, you push the name and its privacy is lost for good, up to $9.99 down the drain (and for sure you also lose it if the domain has privacy with GD and you move it to another registrar, EVEN if it's one of its own resellers, that's a bit of a no-brainer actually)

W/most other registrars you can deactivate privacy and activate it again with no charge, and with many you can even push the domain along with its privacy to another customer, but not the YoDaddy, ever...

:tape2:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, I've been able to turn privacy off and later back on w/Moniker but it wasn''t recently so you're probably right and this must be a new thing....also, things don't work as you might expect with Moniker and its privacy (an British dude here had a thread on that btw...) sometimes you pay for it and it is in your acct, but you have to enable it or it doesn't get added, that pisses people off big time, but that hasn't happened to me lately

Good question. With other registrars, such as Fabulous and Moniker, the status of WHOIS shield after an account transfer remains as before. However, once you turn it off at Moniker, you can't re-enable it. You might want to test it out or contact GoDaddy support.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried purchasing a domain transfer with privacy through GD and transferring in a domain that has privacy already enabled at another registrar? Was privacy carried over?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
David, WHOIS protection is not implemented at Registry level, so I'm sure there is no way to carry it out. The privacy fee is a service paid to the registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom