Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

It’s time for “THE TALK” with Ron “DNJ” Jackson… Can you handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The dreaded talk is here...

http://www.wannadevelop.com/blog/ron-jackson-dnjournal/

Ron Jackson… One of the finest people involved in the domain business. A true gentleman and a class act all around. Everybody loves Ron, for which there are so many reasons. Frank Schilling articulated it best most recently with the following few words… “Ron’s quiet personal mission has helped to create the domain name industry dynamic in which we all co-exist.” oh and how true those words are. Took the words right outta my mouth ;)

I’ve been reading Ron’s DNJournal.com publication covering the domain industry since 2003. Back then, it was one of my favorite go-to resources for info about the domaining biz, and today it still very much is. It has helped establish and grow the industry today as we know it. If it wasn’t for Ron Jackson documenting and spreading the “news” and “information” there would be no industry really. We are all fortunate to have Ron.

Ron has had a pretty interesting life and somewhat of a bumpy ride but in his own words… “By the grace of God I have always had the good fortune to work at something I love to do and domains have been no different. As much as I enjoyed broadcasting and music, there are times I feel that domains are what I was really born to do. I love language, computers and the internet and this industry combines them all!” and for 8 straight years, Ron has rocked it and set the bar really high.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I offered to redo the website for Ron year's ago for free, but he declined citing a potential conflict could arise if he gave me favorable reviews.

I respected that and moved on, Ron is and always has been a pleasure to be around and his work is top notch.

I am sure Ron will someday pick somone outside of this industry to redo it when he is ready.

You can't rush a great talent ;)

-=DCG=-

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is interesting to know, Adam.

Maybe Ron will have a change of heart one of these days... Better sooner than later.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well.... I'll bet Ron could pick apart your blog post pretty well. He is a journalist and probably caught the numerous grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and words used out of context. His site could probably use a makeover, but I have gotten used to navigating around there. It is certainly not an embarrassment to our industry, which you kind of eluded to.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stevo, just because you got used to crap doesn't mean that crap is acceptable or that everybody else will be just as receptive.

I mean, to each his own... It's all good :) But at the same time lets not kid ourselves... DNJ wins #1 worse designed site' in our biz by a mile.

The homepage looks like a 1999 link farm. There are over 20 ads plastered all over the place which has very little content and lacks focus... Lots of animating this and that. Ouch!

Does not look professional one bit. Terrible all-around. Lets stop making excuses... I just got the balls to tell it like it is... Somebody's gotta keep it real ;)

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And the person we need to keep it real is you? lol

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And the person we need to keep it real is you? lol

What you want and need are two different things... :) But hey, when doughmains.com launches you should hit me up if you want to contribute. I know you love to talk domains all day long. You got some balls, which I admire about you and I am sure you can put together some good stuff which people can enjoy and learn a new thing or two, which is what this is all about at the end of the day.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you do not like Ron's website, don't do him the Favor by visiting it. Your post is offensive and shows ignorance. I have NEVER posted this kind of response, but
you have no business dissing Ron. He does a HUGE service to our community. I hope the rest of this community shares in my feelings and vocalizes it here...and now!! Who are you and what have you done to help this community?

Let's show Ron some Respect here!!!

Last edited:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you do not like Ron's website, don't do him the Favor by visiting it. Your post is offensive and shows ignorance. I have NEVER posted this kind of response, but you have no business dissing Ron. He does a HUGE service to our community. I hope the rest of this community shares in my feelings and vocalizes it here...and now!! Who are you and what have you done to help this community?

ditto.

and the OP should see my website (in my sig link below) if he wants to see a very plain looking basic site badly in need of updating and features. However, absolutely no plans to update it (even if I had money to spare) since I like the plain and simple look of it. With that said, Ron's site is light years better.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The topic was raised in the "Advertising" section. Every post (mine included) keeps the stunt alive. Not a bad strategy for buzz on a new site-service. It just isn't a good strategy to knock an icon. Ron is well respected and liked and will have plenty of defenders.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nobody is dissing, knocking or trying to embarrass Ron. Not sure where you are getting this from.. Obviously did not read my post in full. That explains it :)

MichaelJ137

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doughmains.com is gonna be SICK. Watch out bloggers/domain info sites..... finally some REAL DEAL focused, precise domaining info, instead of industry BS is on its way. I'll certainly subscribe and read it, but that's me.

I read the article, I dont see it as bashing/dissing/insulting AT ALL, and those who do are a bit sensitive and probably shouldnt be reading wanna develop or anything Mike says. Rather, go home and have a nice warm glass of milk and a nap. ; ) Haha

I'm not some "fanboy" of wannadevelop or Mike, but I will say this.... He shoots from the hip, gives his honest opinions on things and doesn't worry about being judged or what people are going to think. That right there has probably made him a great deal of money in this industry and earns him points in my book. I read almost everyone in this industrys blog daily, and I'm talking everyone.... and his blog is one of the most informative and cut-and-dry domaining blogs out there. Probably the best for the type of info I'm looking for and the way I want it delivered. Each blog is different, and variety is great, so-to each their own...

IMO- DNJournal is informative. DNJournal shows how hard Ron Jackson works and the time he puts in to the information he delivers and the service he provides to all of us. DNJournal was one of the first sites I ever visited when I started looking into domaining and DNJournal motivated me to get going and start registering names. DNJournal is still an industry leader and one of the only trusted sites for domain sales info and other related domaining topics.

On the other hand, DNJournal ABSOLUTELY could use a facelift. Put aside everything else and Mike is right- it looks like a 1997 link farm. What would a little wordpress and a new logo and some change hurt? Get current and stay with the times a bit, what's so bad about saying that? Look at DNforum, the site was still the informative and awesome forum it always was, but maybe it was time for a facelift- and Adam delivered- and now it looks way better in my opinion. Everyone is afraid of change. So I'll leave you with this quote:

"Those who resist change become the stepping stones for those whom embrace it"

Read that one over a few times and internalize it. It will help you through all walks of life. And again, this post is just my honest opinion.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
soooooooo i've decided that my new website will be identical to dnjournal.com since it's truly unique timeless design look and feel is so highly praised and a true favorite of the people ... lol :blush:

those idiots at cnn.com techcrunch.com etc have no idea what they are doing... one word; newbies :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom