Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

IYD/ItsYourDomain = STAY AWAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a few typo domains with ItsYourDomain.com (IYD.com). I wanted to transfer them out to GoDaddy, since IYD charges for Forwarding and all that stuff, and I really need a free solution since I really have the need for Forwarding.

Anyway, I figured I get a free 1 year extension anyway so transferring would be best, plus I have most of my domains with GoDaddy so it would help me be a little more organized. So I unlock them, remove privacy WHOIS at IYD, and I initiated the transfers from GoDaddy.

I get errors for all three: "Verifying Whois Contact Information [email protected]". Not for nothing, but there were no contacts found for any of the domains. Even when I try it via Whois.sc, I see a blank page saying the domain is available. But when I try it via IYD whois, it actually works. So the whois is only viewable via IYD.com whois.

So I call GoDaddy and one of the customer support peeps tells me to remove privacy and call back. So I do that and I get a different support peep this time. This guy tells me the whois is still not visible. And he cannot do a manual whois check via IYD because that is against their company TOS/protection, etc. And the whois is only automated. So they can't manually check the whois from IYD site to send me the confirmation email. So I am told to contact IYD.

I call IYD. I get this WOMAN. WHOA. PISSED OFF. I think she was on her period today or something. After I tell her that I want to transfer out to GoDaddy, she starts attacking me left and right. And then I say that it's IYD's fault for not supplying valid WHOIS and she says "NO! It's GODaddy registrar. They can do it manually if they wanted! This is why they are bad! And this is why you should stay with IYD in the first place!"

And I'm like. Whoa chill lady. Actually I didn't say that but I was thinking like chill woman. Not to mention, it would make no sense for GODaddy not to want to transfer to them. They would LOVE to help me transfer my domain to Godaddy, but it's just not possible. There is no WHOIS for my domains with IYD and I can't get my confirmation emails.

So I call GODaddy again and I get a third customer service peep. He says they can't do it manually. It's impossible for security purposes. He said retrieving a blank whois for my domains from IYD took them 2 hops instead of the usual 1. He also said that it's a tactic by registrars to keep you from transferring out of them.

Anybody have any ideas/past experiences with this weird iyd company?

Domain Days 2024

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi ShytKicker,

I am also in the process of transfering a domain out of ItsyourDomain.com over to namecheap. I have been waiting about 5-7 days now and still no go.

I received the auth. code and entered it but never recieved the validation/authorization email. The process is haulted at "Cannot find UWhois information, etc" and "There are no known issues at this time". I emailed NameCheap and they have reset there system to do the whois search again.

Odd.

D

Deleted member 5660

In the past they have deleted domain the moment it expires. It a domain expires Dec 15 it is deleted at 12:01 AM (that is one minute past midnight on Dec 14) and they did this after they held up a transfer under similar circumatances. this was a few years back.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shytkicker, any luck transfering your domain yet?

Just got this email today:

Dear xx

This notice is to inform you that your domain transfer was cancelled
due to the reason mentioned below.

Domain Name : xx.com
Transferred for : 1 year(s)
Transfer Order ID : xx
Credit Card/ Funds Transaction ID : CODE-FUNDS

Reason for Cancellation :
Canceled - cannot obtain domain contacts from UWhois

A notification has also been sent to Namecheap support to refund this
cancelled transfer. The amount will be added to you Namecheap account
within a few minutes. In rare situations, it might take upto 24-48 hours
for the refund to be available in your account. Once available, You can
use those funds to easily resubmit the transfer if wish to do so.

Please contact [email protected] if you have any problems or
questions and we will be happy to assist you.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This sort of thing has happened before. Not surprising it's occurring again.

Based on what you guys stated, IYD appears to be blocking port 43 WHOIS to
other registrars for whatever reason. Keep out data-mining, prevent you from
transferring out, etc.

Ask the gaining registrar to see if they can contact IYD about that. It's too
bad some gaining registrars haven't prepared a fax process as a backup.

I don't know if complaining to ICANN about it will do anything. But I guess any
option is better than none.

D

Deleted member 5660

In a situation like this you have to get a registrar who is willing to file a complaint with the Verisign registry. A good registrar will first try to contact IYD and get it fixed. If that doesn't work it goes to the registry. Registrars don't want to get each other mad plus the profit on a transfer isn't usually worth the effort so most registrars will just say "oh well, try again" and you are left on your own. Registrars are able to do it manually. Tucows does it for me and they keep track of the complaints and show up at the ICANN meetings. However, their compliance dept is out until after new years.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Call the support of the gaining registrar so that they facilitate the transfer manually. Enom does that.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ive had similar problems this year, at least 25-30 times now since summer. Since Ive started using moniker i send an email to support [at] moniker .com, give my name, my account number there, the domain name and the epp code, simply state i want the domain/s transferred to moniker and it gets taken care of for me. no fuss pretty much. I'm not sure if godaddy does this as well but ive found this very helpful. I'm so pleased with how they handle my dealings i refer them in my sig without a referal bonus even.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Which registrar will do it manually for me? I'm almost willing to transfer it to a reputable registrar that will handle this hassle, and then transfer to namecheap.

Any input is appreciated.

Also just a general question, is the EPP code for a domain the same or is it generated everytime you initiate a transfer?

This is the email I got from IYD:

Hi,

We have not recived a request for transfer from the new registrar that's why you have not recieved the authorization e-mail. The new registrar must request the transfer.
If there is anything else that we can do for you please let us know.

Thank You,
Andrea Tamsevicius
Customer Support
[email protected] or 847-895-4301
1005 W. Wise Road
Schaumburg, IL 60193
http://www.itsyourdomain.com
Please keep all prior transmissions on the same e-mail when you reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom