Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

izoPhilosophies and classiQuotes: Bleh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, open question. Regarding the habit of quoting ourselves or somehow "trademarking" our quoting behavior...

Do we really need to have such idiosyncratic ways of communicating? I remember watching Star Trek, and there was an episode that starred Ashley Judd, as a character called Ensign Robin Lefler. She had this peculiar way of spouting things she called "Lefler's Laws". Some examples (from a webpage listing them):
  • Law #17: "When all else fails, do it yourself."
  • Law #32: "If life hands you lemonade, don't try to make lemons out of it."
  • Law #36: "You gotta go with what works."
  • Law #46: "Life isn't always fair."
  • Law #52: "Never underestimate a man's ability to make you laugh."
At first, these things seem "cute" or "witty", but as it becomes clear that they are a reoccuring theme, they come across a little forced, self-ingratiating, and odd.

I sware I think someone else around here started picking up the habit too (customized to whatever username they're using). So... what do you folks think? I find it bizarre to have someone quoting themselves in the middle of a discussion rather making sure they're actually "right there" treating you like an individual, and not whipping out a pre-canned phrase and spreading it on like peanut butter.

Nexian Exposition #5467: "Whenever the mood strikes you, burp in the presence of andaluvian wombat."

~ Nexus

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say that to particularly pick on one or two individuals and attempt to subject them to personal ridicule is at the least undesireable if not in contravention of Rule 3.

Do you wish to re-think this Nexus?

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
207 702's #1: "What the hell Mel"

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
I would say that to particularly pick on one or two individuals and attempt to subject them to personal ridicule is at the least undesireable if not in contravention of Rule 3.
Do you wish to re-think this Nexus?
I'm commenting on the trend and took a fair amount of time to show an example of how sources outside of this forum do it as well.

I thought about it enough before I posted it. Maybe my message should be "re-read"? The ONLY reason I'm mentioning it, is because in recent threads the quotes themselves are being quoted by the quotee, and THE TREND has really brought attention to itself in that way. Please NOTE how I used the term "WE" and not "will you get a load of these guys"?

If it comes off as "an attack" and has no merit as social commentary, I guess I'll give up on the topic right now. Please close the thread. I'm dissappointed. Thanks for the food for thought, Mole.

~ Nexus

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am sure that it may have merit as social commentary but I would prefer to avoid having individuals made the subject of ridicule or possible attack and counter-attack, which I feel would be counter-productive.

Thread closed as requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom