Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Java problems are more complex than simply viewing the page

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There have been many happy replies in other threads saying success as they can now see the words on the right side of the test java screen posted by gregr so the plugin must now be working. Sorry, that may not be so.

I don't want to rain on anyones parade but the main compatability problem with Java is not simply viewing the page, as many of us here think, the big problem is the text link not working when clicked-on. Instead an exclamation mark in a small yellow java script icon appears in the lower left corner and nothing happens, saying "error on page."

I run into this zillions of times on many websites and for several yrs., though lately with Windows XP and IE6 the java problems are much worse than in the past.

Hope this does not happen when the auction goes live. I can also see the words but still have little confidence in it really working in real-time. :eek:

Upvote 0

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid you could be right. Last week seeing the Log-In screen was supposed to mean everything was A-OK but when auction time rolled around I could not get past that Log-In screen. I got a PM from Hellstrom that some of the guys were running some kind of test earlier today but I got the message too late to take part. I am hopeful everything will work out.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah, i got it late as well.. damn...

Anyway, its not just the little icon and/or clicking things. There are a billion things that can go wrong internaly without you even winking at the monitor. Access violations, overflows, invalid typecasts, you name it. A java app is no different from a windows app. I have to say that its a much bigger pain in the arse to debug! Even if you can see the boxes and the buttons and click on them and type stuff in, does not mean that at some point it will not throw a fit because someone typed in a negative (<0) bid or clicked on the button 3 times quickly instead of 1.

To test an application and/or website you have to make every effort to break it. You have to do things you normaly wouldnt and try to crap it out. Tye stuff quickly, type invalid chars, click on things randomly, etc.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I heard that two domains actually went through the auction before the real problems started. I never saw anything past the first one. If things stop, it's hard to tell if the action has stopped or my view of it has.

I'm not sure what the answer is, unless something keeps moving on screen even between the domains auctioned. I could see the countdown on the first one, but when that quit, couldn't tell if the second was to start or if I was just not conntected.

For the short period of time from conception to release I was pretty impressed though. I think there were only 151 people online at the time...wonder what would happen if it grew to 1500?

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was at the test...

things are looking much better...

I take my hat off to gregrs programmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom