Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Jerk-you-off-to-thegeneration-ofsnobish-and-millionaire-elistist-thinking-phucks.com+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That was a funny post, thanks! I laughed so hard I spit up my Beluga caviar and almost knocked over my open bottle of Chateau Lafite '99 - and nearly stained my lapis lazuli desktop.
You're absolutely right, no money in domaining....

Seriously, though, I turn a small profit and I'm allergic to spreadsheets. You are either not buying good names or not trying to sell them properly. And don't expect much from hand regs unless you are willing to keep them for several years. That said, if you aren't making a dime off the had regs, you might not be ready to spend on bigger names just yet.

Don't worry about what other domainers are doing - focus on your own profits. People at any forum tend to exaggerate or flat out lie about their success. (Though there are many successful people as well. Try to learn how to separate the two groups.)
Don't try to make killer profits at this stage, and don't pile up a bunch of domains in the hope that they might sell in 10 years. Buy what you can afford and flip them for a reasonable profit, and work your way up. By selling domains, you will gain experience and a better understanding of what works. If you're not selling any at all, even at low price points, you're probably buying crap.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/f557/domaing...me-big-success-thread-483226.html#post2093170

The domain industry is at the point back in the wildwest landrush days where the big railroads were doing a landgrab, and owned everything, but the poor dirt farmers scratched food for family.

But one day, the big railroads will still own everything, but the dirt farmers who hung on, their family finally got a decent price for their sweat.

And Bill F., couldnt find the Dislike button. Whatta load of bummer you offer.

Last edited:

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.... You are either not buying good names or not trying to sell them properly. And don't expect much from hand regs unless you are willing to keep them for several years. That said, if you aren't making a dime off the had regs, you might not be ready to spend on bigger names just yet.

I agree, generally speaking you need aftermarket domains that you can sell to endusers. The problem is, endusers are totally unpredictable. I am sending domains (only .com) of exact generic company names to endusers with mid $xxx asking prices and they're not interested. I am completely baffled why a company wouldn't own its own name exactly in .com. So, on occasion I second OP feelings :lol:; despite a very satisfactory first quarter for me, April was the worst month this year resulting in only 1 domain sale.

At the same time i am of the opinion that if you are not able to spend at least several hours a day into domaining, you're not going to make a living out of it. You'll have to scan the daily droplists, create enduser emails lists and do some additional research for particular domains and domaining in general.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
AtTheLake..sorry you deleted your post. I thought it was funny in the sense that I liked it. At least the title lives on, it certainly jumped off the page and drew eyeballs. It had a bit of flair for a rant.

The problem is, endusers are totally unpredictable. I am sending domains (only .com) of exact generic company names to endusers with mid $xxx asking prices and they're not interested. I am completely baffled why a company wouldn't own its own name exactly in .com.

That's why it's better to have developed websites, or anything else that makes a fairly reliable income. There's no selling to such end users, unless maybe you drop to $100. Better to keep the names and wait for some of them to come around when they are ready. Without regular income, you find yourself in cash pinches, and making sales for less than ideal prices. It's easy to think "they are frigging idiots for not wanting this name," but if everyone understood the value of a good domain it would be pretty hard for us to make any money at all. There's still money to be made in domains exactly because of the lack of awareness.

Last edited:

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sorry, wtf are you on about?

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I deleted my post because I typed it out of frustration... and was ranting quite a bit about my lack of apparent ability to produce any sales over the last 6 months through sedo... The post was in no way directed at anyone on the board, the board has been very informational and helpful to me.. I am just frustrated because I feel I have some ok names and some bad names i have mostly hand-regged and havent yet to sell one to recoup some of my money back... Thats all.. It was just a long day yesterday and I took my emotions out on the forum with a crazy title and ranting about my own lack of success! Adam has been cool and helpful the few times I talked to him and so has just about everyone else..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom