Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Joint effort to help victims of Tsunami?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashing

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It occurred to me that the combined talents and skills of the members of this forum could do something as a group to help the victims of the Asia quake. The idea I'm proposing is a website, built and promoted by the charitable members of this forum, where stories of first hand accounts from those affected could be posted.

Such a site, promoted correctly, would attract many people, and links to charities and other fund raising components, could raise money for the relief effort.

To this end I have registered two domains (tsunamitales.org, survivorsstories.org). I'm happy to donate these domains to the cause.

On this forum there are probably some of the best SERP's experts and web programmers in the business. If just half a dozen agreed to donate some of that expertise, we could as a group do something truly special.

What we would need (provisional list):

• web hosting
  • SERPS and promotion effort/advice
  • suggestions for the site's structure
  • programming
  • a senior board member to co-ordinate the effort

This is just to start a discussion. If the response to this idea is positive, perhaps a good way to start would be to have people post what they would be able/willing to contribute, and where appropriate, their relevant experience.

Leading by example, my best skills are ideas and community management plus some PHP, having run the Millennium Photo Project.

Alx Klive

smub

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i cud give u suggestions on site structure

tell me how much space u need ? then i'll see if i cud offer that

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are a small number of official sites dedicated to the prompt and reliable distribution of funds and resources under the guidance of NGO's, e.g the Redcross the Disasters Emergency Committee etc.
I would suggest that what is NOT needed now are a multitude of other quasi-official sites to confuse the issue of getting resources to where it is needed as quickly as possible.
My view is that this is not the way to help, albeit well-intentioned.

smashing

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see your point and you may well be correct. I guess my counter would be that the NGO and charity sites are ultimately there to collect and redistribute funds and support. The point of this site would be to drive donors to those sites by offering compelling stories from people who right now may be looking for an outlet to share their grief and experience.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
smashing said:
I see your point and you may well be correct. I guess my counter would be that the NGO and charity sites are ultimately there to collect and redistribute funds and support. The point of this site would be to drive donors to those sites by offering compelling stories from people who right now may be looking for an outlet to share their grief and experience.

IMO this would be better acheived by all members putting a link to one of the reputable agencies onto their sites.

Legend.name

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
smashing said:
It occurred to me that the combined talents and skills of the members of this forum could do something as a group to help the victims of the Asia quake. The idea I'm proposing is a website, built and promoted by the charitable members of this forum, where stories of first hand accounts from those affected could be posted.

Such a site, promoted correctly, would attract many people, and links to charities and other fund raising components, could raise money for the relief effort.

To this end I have registered two domains (tsunamitales.org, survivorsstories.org). I'm happy to donate these domains to the cause.

On this forum there are probably some of the best SERP's experts and web programmers in the business. If just half a dozen agreed to donate some of that expertise, we could as a group do something truly special.

What we would need (provisional list):

• web hosting
  • SERPS and promotion effort/advice
  • suggestions for the site's structure
  • programming
  • a senior board member to co-ordinate the effort

This is just to start a discussion. If the response to this idea is positive, perhaps a good way to start would be to have people post what they would be able/willing to contribute, and where appropriate, their relevant experience.

Leading by example, my best skills are ideas and community management plus some PHP, having run the Millennium Photo Project.

Alx Klive

I'll like to sponsor web hosting! :)

smub

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i like webname's idea better

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
There are a small number of official sites dedicated to the prompt and reliable distribution of funds and resources under the guidance of NGO's, e.g the Redcross the Disasters Emergency Committee etc.
I would suggest that what is NOT needed now are a multitude of other quasi-official sites to confuse the issue of getting resources to where it is needed as quickly as possible.
My view is that this is not the way to help, albeit well-intentioned.

I agree. Just after 9/11, it was frustrating to see that the people affected were having trouble organizing the INFORMATION, something we specialize at with databases and web pages. But then I saw that one of the biggest problems with TOO MUCH information -- there were dozens of people setting up sites to do the same thing, none with any 'official' info or system of updating it when people are found dead or alive. The result was chaos, and made everything worse.

Another thing NOT to do is email links to relief sites. Yours will be accurate, but be assured that the scam artists are alreadying setting up "phishing" emails... where the links go to their own sites instead of where they appear to go... to collect bank data about you. People here are probably wise to this, but many are not, and by sending emails with similar links, I think you'll help open the door to phishing to the less internet savvy. Tell people to go to the address bar and TYPE "redcross.org" or whereever they intend to go to donate.

smashing

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
IMO this would be better acheived by all members putting a link to one of the reputable agencies onto their sites.

Sure and I think that's something that should be done regardless. Why not both you could say? I guess the point was that a focussed effort, something unique, something with vision, something that everyone on the board could feel a part of, take ownership of, might achieve more. It's one thing to drive donors to the charity sites, it would be another to create a forum where survivors could come together, share their stories, and find kinship with one another. That would be special. I do agree that any effort to create a site intended for the dissemination of information or for people to attempt to locate loved ones, when there are official ones doing the same, might be confusing and counter productive.

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
. . . but be assured that the scam artists are alreadying setting up "phishing" emails... where the links go to their own sites instead of where they appear to go... to collect bank data about you. People here are probably wise to this, but many are not, and by sending emails with similar links, I think you'll help open the door to phishing to the less internet savvy. Tell people to go to the address bar and TYPE "redcross.org" or whereever they intend to go to donate.

I agree. I may just be an ignorant writer of doggerel, but I see the next tsunami to be a wave of phishers, spoofers, and scam artists out to profit from the well intentioned but uninformed. Things would be better if left to the established relief agencies, IMHO. Ite. Missa est.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom