Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Just for the record... charging for visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, the owner of the site has the right to charge or not charge whatever he/she wants for their site. I'm mostly a buyer of domains, so from that perspective, I'm very confident the market will self level.

But what I'm unhappy about is that even if I decide it's worth it to spend the money to join this site, I'm forced into using one payment system.

I buy domains all the time. I send cash in the mail, checks, money order, e-gold. visa/mastercard, western union, ACH direct deposit, escrow services, wire transfers, bank checks, and most recently, Amazon GC (new for me!) I've even traded domains.

So I fail to see the logic in this forced system of paypal.

Thus, if I don't join, that would the first, and by far the biggest, reason I would not.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by maxheadroom
I buy domains all the time. I send cash in the mail, checks, money order, e-gold. visa/mastercard, western union, ACH direct deposit, escrow services, wire transfers, bank checks, and most recently, Amazon GC (new for me!) I've even traded domains.

So I fail to see the logic in this forced system of paypal.
If you have been buying domain names via this forum, you will know that MOST (if not all) sellers make PayPal their only payment menthod.

I don't like PayPal a lot, but if you are to engage in medium to low end trading on the Web, it's a passport you must have.

By the way, sending cash in the mail is illegal for many parts of the world. Where do you live?

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Nameslave,

It may be illegal in some places, but it is a common practice. I've sent and recived cash dozens of times , only once did it fail to appear.

max,

If you need, you could send money via E-Gold to me and I could pay for you via Paypal. PM if you would like.

wyvern

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer wyven. but I closed my PP account a long time ago. Thanks tho.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maxheadroom :

If you have e-gold, why don't you want to open paypal ?
Bad experience ?

Just don't put too much money there.
Just use it as payment method not bank. :D

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Bad experience? Yes, that's putting it mildly. They had $600 of my money tied up for 3 months. Was it anything I did? No. Did anyone put a complaint against me? No. What happened was that I had $600 in there and bought something using the PayPal debit card. The merchant was in Canada. When the merchant put the initial charge in it was for about $300. Then a few days later when the charge hit the bank, the us/Canadian dollar exchange rate had changed slightly so the amount was not like $301 and change. But PayPal debited BOTH from my account. I was told by PayPal the merchant had put 2 charges against my card. The merchant (whom I have bought MANY items from in the past and never had 1 bit of trouble) assured me they did not. They even faxed the invoice to PayPal and told them there was only 1 charge.

After being hung upon by PayPal twice I had had enough. In addition, I travel a lot. I read on paypalsucks.com about a guy in my situation who used his PayPal ATM card to withdraw cash in asia. PayPal closed his account and froze his money with it. I called PayPal and inquired. I told them I travel and that it would be very likely that I'd use the card in more than one country. They told me if I did that would be a violation of their agreement and my account would be frozen! I kid you not!

AFTER the 3 months of hell with this company I finally got my money and that was that. I will NEVER do business with them again and if DNforum is going to align themselves so tightly with a company like that, then so be it. But I'll not be a part of it. There are A LOT of domain sellers out there and A LOT of domains still not registered.

What you don't realize is that once you put your banking info on your PayPal account, you are authorizing them (for "life" according to them) to access any of your accounts at any time to repay PayPal for any loss they may suffer from anyone doing any business with you. Sorry, but if someone uses a stolen card and PayPal authorized it, that's PayPal's problem not mine. As a merchant of 20 years, I can tell you it's the person taking the card that is responsible to verify it's a good card. We used to have those paper lists that came once a week that we had to look up every card. Well if PayPal doesn't verify a card before they charge it and then they put the money in my account and then the owner of the card says that card was stolen, PayPal expects me to reimburse them. But I never authorized the card.

In addition, maybe some of you here that love PayPal, you might want to read their TOS. Did you know you are not covered at all for virtual items? (like domain names) If I wanted to be a real smart aleck about it, I'd open a PayPal account, fund it with my credit card, buy 100 domains here, pay with PayPal, transfer all to another registrar, change ownership info, and then tell my credit card company that those PayPal charges are unauthorized charges. Boom. They are reversed and PayPal will not help you because you have no tracking number that proves you delivered the goods.

I know this makes me an unpopular guy here. So be it. Just don't say I didn't warn you when it happens to you.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by maxheadroom
maybe some of you here that love PayPal,

I doubt if there is anyone here that "loves" paypal but the fact remains they are an easy, cost effective way to move money, electronicaly, from on person to another.

As far as the nonsence that went on with your account, it's only going to get worse. They were arrogant, non-service oriented, monopolizing, "we don't give a sh*t" bas*ards before E-bay bought them. Now...

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had my account frozen/restricted/limited twice, presumably because I was using it in a country not on their acceptable list. (They do IP checks).

As you say Sharpy, they are an easy, cost effective way to move money, electronicaly, from on person to another.

I have got a work around now, but it involves hassling someone else in a "permitted" country, and my purchase transactions, and transfers to bank account are delayed as a result.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got paid through Paypal for a name sold on Feb 22, 2003 and today (Feb 24) money is in my account. And it was a weekend.
What else can I expect? I am happy with Paypal.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
URLtrader: I guess you haven't had your account "restricted" yet ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom