Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Keli McGregor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find it disgusting that someone registered this persons domain name after we were going to donate a website to Keli's family for them in honor of a fine person. As a personal friend of this family, his father was my coach in high school I find it violates some many things on every level it disgusts me.
As a domain buyer and seller I have never registered to profit off of another persons name, especially when it just happened and especially because its not the right thing to do.

I hope there is something I can do now. I will be contacting the rockies asap and their legal department today. Any help here will be appreciated and I hope each and every person here will email this owner who is trying to sell for profit off of KM name on Sedo for 15000.

This absolutely disgusts me in every way!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of domaining. Where he who regs first wins.

I say this in jest but the reality is this is the truth behind domaining today

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc...I have been in the domain industry for 10 years and will NEVER trade off a persons death or misfortune and I have NO RESPECT for anyone that does. You are a scumbag if you do.

I just got off the phone with the Colorado Rockies and provided all information to them and they are not happy. I will also help them in anyway I can.
Its time people started doing the right thing in this world.

Welcome to the world of domaining. Where he who regs first wins.

I say this in jest but the reality is this is the truth behind domaining today

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

In addition after I emailed the owner they have now taken their real name off and hid it

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc...I have been in the domain industry for 10 years and will NEVER trade off a persons death or misfortune and I have NO RESPECT for anyone that does. You are a scumbag if you do.

You wouldn't. I wouldn't. I'm sure Doc Com wouldn't.

This doesn't mean that there are some people who would - and do it in a milisecond. Whenever there is a disaster, you can rest assured within seconds the (location)(disaster).com is registered and usually used for proft - not for aid or education.

To some people profit >> ethics.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Draggar
I know the people on here or at least the majority of them would not, but as a personal friend of this family, we were going to donate a site for Keli and allow people to contribute to his charitys etc and have something that would do good in his name, now a scumbag so far has ruined that....but I tell you I am on a mission on this one and will do everything I can to get it for their family.

So far the Legal department for Sedo and the Legal Department for the colorado Rockies have been contacted.

Thank You

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Here is a great article on Keli McGregor....Take note of the outstanding life he led

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5130955

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most professional athletes will have agents. In some cases, there will be a family spokesperson.

And most assuredly, someone like this will have a personal lawyer (or a team of lawyers) to handle affairs.

That is where you need to pursue this.

Go to the source that would do the most good and liable to act faster.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good luck - I went though the same thing a few years ago with a friend of mine. Sadly, he nor I had the money for a lawyer and a WIPO - even though the person was selling illegal copies of my friend's books so we did the next best thing - I registered the .net, .org, .us, .indo and pointed them all to the .org. I put up a site for him (WP blog with a nice template) and he supplied me articles, I also wrote some explaining what was going on with the .com.

We got sites that linked to the .com to link to the .org once they realized what was going on, we had a campaign to let people know how to tell illegal copies of the book from legit ones.

We beat the illegal site though SEO and the .com was dropped later on - I was able to get it for the drop fee when it dropped.

Luckily, you seem to have access to some good financial backing so that a WIPO and lawyer fees won't be that much (relatively speaking). Sometimes, realname.com domains are hard to get though WIPO but don't give up - take screenshots, take notes, and if you can prove any kind of infringement or bad faith, then you should hae an easier case.

Sadly, right now the ads are irrelevant to the Keli. Keep an eye on the site. I highly recommend getting the other major TLDs (.net, .org, and maybe even .us, and .info).

Edit: I don't see where they're asking $15,000 for it, though. Nothing shows up on a Sedo search (unless they took it off for sale). (To play devil's advocate) for all you know they could be working on a fan site for him. (Although private registration is very fishy, IMO).

Last edited:

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Draggar
They were transparent in the beginning and I got their email, the reason I knew is I sent them an email through sedo because it was for sale and told them exactly what I was doing. Thye told me 15000 and I have it documented through my sedo account, I was willing to give them a small fee and was nice about it at first but then they changed their domain to privacy and I knew it was on like Donkey Kong!

They made a mistake with me I will NOT give up on it, I have their contact email and have notified the Rockies as I said and am working with them to secure it.

They have NO intention of using it for any good, I know it and they know it

Thanks
Doc24

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Even though it seems to me tacky and not the best business venture the domain name is first come first serve and the owner is well within his rights to do as he feels whether it is to sell it or cash park it or whatever.

Your blatant remarks about not giving up and you will continually harrass someone for a domain name you do not own is only fuel for the defense. Believe me Sedo nor the Rockies will have anything to do with your plight.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering, if someone registerred the name michael jackson after the guy is dead, does that make a person a criminal? As far as the law, I mean. I know there are so many hand regged names associated to Jackson after Jacson's death. Similar incididences occurred after ana nicole smith's death. So, regging exact names of the person is a crime, and regging something similar is not? I'm a little off topic doc24, but I'm just wondering what the law is.

Hope you'll succeed in what you're attemting to do, doc24.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CBK , you dont have a clue. Get serious. For your information I have talked with the family lawyers and the Rockies lawyers and they are both going to get the name. If you knew anything about the facts, you wouldnt have a bonehead comment like that. Before you spougfht off , check out about peoples names and what people are doing to get their rightfull names, especially when a person has no intention of doing anything but making money off of that name. You are probably the type to register something like that and try to profit off of a deceased person when their family clearly wanted to use the name for a memorial and some good, So stay off here, By the way SEDO legal department already has emailed me and they are taking it seriously. DONT COMMENT IF YOU DONT KNOW.

Even though it seems to me tacky and not the best business venture the domain name is first come first serve and the owner is well within his rights to do as he feels whether it is to sell it or cash park it or whatever.

Your blatant remarks about not giving up and you will continually harrass someone for a domain name you do not own is only fuel for the defense. Believe me Sedo nor the Rockies will have anything to do with your plight.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

And I happen to be a friend of this family. So grow up. I have been in this industry many years and people that do this SUCK - period! You dont like it - GET LOST

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kelimcgregor.com has been taken down after notifying legal at Sedo and CR Legal department. I guess for all the people on here that thinks its okay to do this, you are wrong. CR and the familys legal team are now in the process of getting the name and putting it to good use for the appropriate charaties and this person outstanding life.

It was swift by Sedo, so much for CBK's comment.

You can make plenty of money on legal domains and not benefiting off other tragedies.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree that the person who registered this domain is a POS, but so is anyone who registers a domain name for the purpose of trading off another person's name or hard work -- or who uses one for that purpose, even if they may have legitimately registered it in the beginning.

The only difference here is whose ox is being gored.

So, I applaud your outrage in this situation. And, I hope to see similar outrage the next time there is a thread on this board slapping someone on the back for doing precisely the same thing -- just not to your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom