Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Keyword domains question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyspy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i want simply clear a question in my mind. Ppl register domains from new outcoming products like ToyotaYaris.com.

How they intend to make money from them? Since they are the first who bought them they cannot expect traffic to those domains, am i wrong? Or does Search engines forward them to toyotayaris.com if they type "toyota yaris" on search line and thats the only traffic?

This was just an example but also something like "nintendowii.com" or similar domains. I have several generic domains but they simply dont get traffic from "air" without working.

Whats the value of such Keywor domains in real?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i want simply clear a question in my mind. Ppl register domains from new outcoming products like ToyotaYaris.com.

How they intend to make money from them? Since they are the first who bought them they cannot expect traffic to those domains, am i wrong? Or does Search engines forward them to toyotayaris.com if they type "toyota yaris" on search line and thats the only traffic?

This was just an example but also something like "nintendowii.com" or similar domains. I have several generic domains but they simply dont get traffic from "air" without working.

Whats the value of such Keywor domains in real?

those examples you gave may have value, only if people actually type that domain in the address bar.

popularity of those specific items make them more likely to get traffic, because some peole make think there is an actual site at the address.

typically, just typing a term in the address bar w/o the extention, the search will be taken over by your internet browser and be forwarded to that SE.
from there it may show relevant links to what the searcher was looking for.

now if your domain happens to be listed in that SE, and depending on ranking, it may show up on the first page of those results.

that is called Search engine traffic, when a person clicks on your link in google or yahoo, msn,excite etc

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is predictive domaining :)
ToyotaYaris would be cybersquatting. Could get some traffic and revenue until you lose it at WIPO so it's a hot potato.
On the other hand you can speculate on new trends based on non-TM keywords. An example is the rush for MT9 domains a few months back.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are probably hoping people type in the name after learning about the product (people just type in the term and add .com), but the examples you gave would be trademark domains, trying to profit in bad faith. Some just hope that the company never comes after them.

spyspy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thank you for feedbacks, yes i gave probably trademark domains, but there are people they buy for example install-satellite.com

So as i understand such domain would have no value except someone want develop a website related to that keyword. without developing this such keyword domains would get almost no traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom