Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Keyword question - hyphenated names

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I accept that hyphenated domain names are not regarded as highly as those that contain two or more words joined together, but does a search engine distinguish between names that have the words hyphenated and those that don't. I would have thought that it would be easier for the system to pick out keywords in a hyphenated name, or am I misunderstanding some aspect of the search engine's abilities?

Also, would words that come naturally hyphenated in the dictionary not be better in a domain name that way than joined up?

Domain Days 2024

memmst

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From my experience the search engine will treat the non hyphenated version the same it will the hyphenated version in 2 word domains. Not sure on 3 word domains but i think it is the same.

memmst

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, memmst, that's the information I was looking for. :)

Welcome.

Also, would words that come naturally hyphenated in the dictionary not be better in a domain name that way than joined up?

Regardless of the dictionary...if you only own the hyphenated version expect traffic leakage.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, memmst. And presumably this traffic leakage goes for the first question, also? Although the search engine might not distinguish between keywords which are hyphenated, there will be leakage because of the non-hyphenated version being more likely to be typed in?

I have a fair idea of the difference between the .com and the .net of a domain name value-wise, but would you have an opinion as to whether a .net could perform nearer to the .com in terms of seo? Or does the value reflect the fact that it wouldn't?

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. But for monetizing a net might be all right, allowing for the leakage?

Thanks for the link. I should be so lucky as to ever be in such a position, lol. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom