Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Kids.us and kids.ws

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitehq

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we're trying to decide whether to support kids.us or start our own kids.ws.

For all those interested in kids.us, i testified for the bill in the congressional hearings when it was for a .kids domain name, we sponsored the original .kids application at ICANN and much of the bill came out of our application. We worked with Rep's Markey and Shimkus and the committee staff and i can tell you the congressman really "get it" when it comes to this domain, and support it.

i'm in the same spot youall are, I own 45 kids.us names - start.kids.us, home.kids.us, boys.kids.us, girls.kids.us....

I think maybe its time to have a .kids nameowners group to try to figure this thing out. let me know if you are interested.

i dont think they have spelled out the definition of "interactivity, formulated guidelines for site content changes and the Dept of Commerce doesnt seem to have held up its end of the bargain in promoting the space.

but heres my questions - how much do you think price has to do with it, we have contemplated selling names for $45 including content review for our second level domain names under kids.ws...please give me your thoughts. Registration could be worldwide, but we wouldnt have the "stamp of approval"of the Presidents Bill. but then we wouldnt have the beauraracy either.

and we'd allow links to outside sites, but its your responsibility to make sure those sites are appropriate.

we do the same thing under the kids.new.net but as we all know its considered an 'alternate space"

so please provide your input

1) kids.us....2) kids.ws or 3) .kids with new net

which should we put our muscle behind.

dont hold back, i have appreciated this community and done over 300 transactions, i really appreciate those of you who take the time to share you thoughts with me.

Page Howe
kidsdomains.org

Page Howe
.kids domains inc

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"i dont think they have spelled out the definition of "interactivity, formulated guidelines for site content changes and the Dept of Commerce doesnt seem to have held up its end of the bargain in promoting the space."

You got that right Page !

Extremely disappointed, that "promotion" is the cornerstone for Kids.us ..without it ..it is just another namespace.

It is obvious that Neustar is just dragging their feet..

The Kids.us should be filling up with websites, I KNOW that sites are ready.. yet Neustar cant get it together... I was "assured" that in the coming weeks this wil happen..

I still believe Kids.us is the way to go..I think maybe all the issues from lack of promotion to Neustar's footdragging may need some publicity...

I have and a few other members have already contacted Rep's Markey and Shimku with our concerns.

New.Net.. they are worse..they have broken so many promises these past 2 years..they have no credibility left. (IMO)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speaking of DOC's requirement I have never been able to get a straight answer as to exactly how they are suppose to "educate" the public/Kids and Parents of Kids.us. This ediucation was suppose to start 30 days after the first website was up.

You are closer than most to the issue, anything you can fill us in with in regards to the legislated "eduction" of the namespace ?

sitehq

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i attended a dept of commerce hosted briefing for content providers at the Capitol building before the launch. The basic procedures were outlined but very few specifics were given out. i was very surprised, there is a huge disconnect between the congress's intent and what is actually happening..i doubt you'll get far because the representatives staff just cant be informed enough to gauge the merit of nuestars responses.

the truth is the demand is not coming from the marketplace, thats why i think kids.ws with a lower price makes sense

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the truth is the demand is not coming from the marketplace, thats why i think kids.ws with a lower price makes sense [/B][/QUOTE]

Demand is there which can be seen from the thousands of kids.us names registered .This was one extension that companies did NOT have to worry about defensive regsitrations why because think about it the space is already partrolled and regulated by content and price just to enter a site ,,so a "cybesquatter" is not going to set up a "kids safe site "under neustars guide lines and pay 250 to do it......

WS> will never work the ws could never be branded. US is a MORE powerful brand then COM note i said BRAND not extension will that power translate into a more powerful or equal extension .Why not to think people will only view a site or keyword at one extension is short sighted .

sitehq

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for those points, i think your right about the website.kids.us being brandable - more than webiste.kids.ws.... but the cost of entry is high at $350 per year. I dont think larger companies will develop in this space because they already have so much invested in nick.com, disney.com go.com etc.- and if nuestar keep to this idea that you have to use different servers with no links whatsoever...well the kids.us will never get off the ground and just be a poster child for the idea not being good in the first place (the idea of kids websites)

remember they are constrained by the BIll and can't change anything about the kids.us setup..like a private company could.

so we feel the market IS in the independent content creators. One day there will be a .kids tld, but until then we think it makes sense to try out strategies and website tactics for kids...just at a lower price point. ..and with less barriers.

thanks again for the perspective.

Page

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you seem to have a lot of kids.us you must have had a reason to register all of them?

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is gvt sponsored and with it will come advantages .The biggest is obviously the directory no other extension has this ,when one company sees their competitor in it they will move faster then light to get init.Secondly being gvt sponsored i sent email to a number of states and they will add the dirtectory to their homepage once it gets more filled states are some of the most heavily travelled sites.

The states will support this where its gvt sponsored otherwise they could lose funding from the fed.

My homebase for kids.us is just about approved from neustar the process does need improving on getting a site from review to live and in the directory.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sitehq
we're trying to decide whether to support kids.us or start our own kids.ws.

For all those interested in kids.us, i testified for the bill in the congressional hearings when it was for a .kids domain name, we sponsored the original .kids application at ICANN and much of the bill came out of our application. We worked with Rep's Markey and Shimkus and the committee staff and i can tell you the congressman really "get it" when it comes to this domain, and support it.

if you could use your past experiences with these congressman and let them know the process on getting sites live is way to long it should not take longer then a few hours never mind a few weeks,,as well How they could help in promoting the www.kids.us directory to start why isn;t it on their own Homepage???? and to do wht they can to get it on the states homepages.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
zouzas, I also agree that the directory is extremely important ..but BECAUSE of :

"(f) EDUCATION - The United States Department of Commerce’s NTIA shall carry out a program to publicize the availability of the new domain and to educate the parents of minors regarding the process for utilizing the new domain in combination and coordination with hardware and software technologies that provide for filtering or blocking. The program under this subsection shall be commenced not later than 30 days after the date that the new domain first becomes operational and accessible by the public.

IF the DOC does as they are required by law ..then that makes the Kids.us directory HUGE !..

If not then it's just another kids directory.. that we all have to try and spread the word.

I want at bare minimum for DOC to send out a trifold pamphlet to every parent in the US that has kids in public school.

30 Million pamphlets.eductig parents and Kids..Directingthem to their very own safe have Kids.us ..As directed BY LAW.

This is what I have said all along is WHY Kids.us would be important , for Companies, deleopers and even speculators. Because of the REQUIRED eductation.

Neustar needs to get off their arse and let webites in ... and DOC needs to do the eductional task laid out in the law.
And Rep's Markey and Shimkus need to understand that they have accomplished nothing.. until they light a fire under DOC and Neustar

A caimpaign that will embarass the hell out of them all, Dateline would love this.

one more thing to add to the list of failures for the Bush administration...but this one hits most Americans .

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
zouzas, I also agree that the directory is extremely important ..but BECAUSE of :

"(f) EDUCATION - The United States Department of Commerce’s NTIA shall carry out a program to publicize the availability of the new domain and to educate the parents of minors regarding the process for utilizing the new domain in combination and coordination with hardware and software technologies that provide for filtering or blocking. The program under this subsection shall be commenced not later than 30 days after the date that the new domain first becomes operational and accessible by the public.

IF the DOC does as they are required by law ..then that makes the Kids.us directory HUGE !..

If not then it's just another kids directory.. that we all have to try and spread the word.

I want at bare minimum for DOC to send out a trifold pamphlet to every parent in the US that has kids in public school.

30 Million pamphlets.eductig parents and Kids..Directingthem to their very own safe have Kids.us ..As directed BY LAW.

This is what I have said all along is WHY Kids.us would be important , for Companies, deleopers and even speculators. Because of the REQUIRED eductation.

Neustar needs to get off their arse and let webites in ... and DOC needs to do the eductional task laid out in the law.
And Rep's Markey and Shimkus need to understand that they have accomplished nothing.. until they light a fire under DOC and Neustar

A caimpaign that will embarass the hell out of them all, Dateline would love this.

one more thing to add to the list of failures for the Bush administration...but this one hits most Americans .

absolutely ,, anything i can do i will with development but like you said neustar and the congressman need some accountablity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom