Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

KIDS.US The Full Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=107_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ317.107

The Only Domain Extension I am aware that by LAW MUST be marketed to....

f) Education.--The NTIA shall carry out a program to publicize
the availability of the new domain and to educate the parents of minors
regarding the process for utilizing the new domain in combination and
coordination with hardware and software technologies that provide for
filtering or blocking. <<NOTE: Deadline.>> The program under this
subsection shall be commenced not later than 30 days after the date that
the new domain first becomes operational and accessible by the public

I still hold that that paragraph is the key of not only the success of dot US but of the very foundation. In a matter of just 1 month literally tens of millions of kids and their parents will not just become aware of the the name space but USING DOT US.
It is not an elective but becomes a part of curriculum . (because the extension is also going to be used in the public schools where possible, when classwork involves using the internet for part of their studies..)

Obviously dot US already has many strengths, just my opinion that this is the one that brings dot US from being just another domain extension to you of the premiunm extensions, not from what will be an instant recognition factor but because it will be used everyday by tens of millions , familiarity breeds comfort and loyalty.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good stuff bid! Yes, let's keep our fingers crossed that .kids.us will give the .us the boost it needs. That would make this whole industry some much more exciting; with more TLDS to play with.

DOT WHAT?!!? :laugh:

TheBansche

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
At least SOMEBODY got the balls to fill this void. Too bad those useless flakes at ICANN didn't have the stones to approve .kids!

[email protected]

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too bad those useless flakes at ICANN didn't have the stones to approve .kids!

.KIDS was a bad idea to begin with on a global scale especially with other countries being lax about pedophilia and other such online activities. I think this is the best solution for the United States. It will allow them to have a lot tighter control over the entire namespace.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One interesting feature of this namespace is that linking outside of the namespace is not allowed. While this makes sense for the stated objectives it will mean slow start until content is developed.

Think of developing a site in a new namespace with no links outside the namespace!

Sort of like .com 10 years ago

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by geoffrey
The Kids.us awareness will create a whole new playing field.

I have a .us with a daily AVG of 145 visitors.

Geoffrey

That is a good number for a .us. Are those pure type-in traffic?

Y

_Yakov_

Kids.us - 600,000 on Alexa
Adults.us - 300,000 on Alexa
I'm pretty amazed

TheBansche

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clemzonguy

.KIDS was a bad idea to begin with on a global scale especially with other countries being lax about pedophilia and other such online activities. I think this is the best solution for the United States. It will allow them to have a lot tighter control over the entire namespace.

I agree, but ICANN could have used a little imagination and solicited the US Gov for help. I reallize the original proposal was flawed, but the fundamental concept has enough merit to justify going outside the regular TLD submission process and thinking outside the box a little. Participation might have had to have been restricted to residents of countries whos governments supported the program and were committed to it's enforcement, but that's all Detail/Project Management stuff. You and I aren't paid to work through issues like that or even think about them, THEY ARE!!! If they aren't willing to loose some brain grease working through sticky details for the good of the Internet, then what the hell do we need them for?

No linking outside the namespace? WOW!!! Ok, this is going to be interesting.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FineE
Think of developing a site in a new namespace with no links outside the namespace!

Sort of like .com 10 years ago

.com sites 10 years ago could link to .edu sites, couldn't they?

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
com sites 10 years ago could link to .edu sites, couldn't they?

Yes but there were not that many sites in any TLD in those days. In a sense this is worse since only content within kids.us can be linked to.

CHC

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've got K1DS.US

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CHC
I've got K1DS.US
Yuck ! :laugh:

Cute just dosent work anymore CHC...

A few years ago I had registered MILLI0NAIRE.com (zero instead of an "o") sold it on Yahoo auctions clear stating it was azero and not and "o" .. (a whopping $40) a week later I get a call from the guy..he thought I ripped him off ..he ACTUALLY thought I sold him Millionaire.com for $40 ! :laugh:

So I asked if that was what he thought he bought( the REAL Millionaire.com) then he was the rip off...trying to take advantage of someone who didnt know any better..

last I ever heard of him :laugh:

Try and avoid these cute stuff ..spend your efforts and money on the best that you can afford, names that actually mean something and names (words/phrases) that people are actually SEARCHING for everyday..

Not to say you cant do well with "cute" names.. some people have a real knack for pulling out cool names.. names that sound interesting and can be branded.. the Googles and Yahoo type stuff..Some people are very good at that..

I am more meat and potato, good generic keywords and phrases.

Good Luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom