Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have this old IBM thinkpad T20
I have had it for maybe 5 years now, never had any problems with it, no hardware errors, no software errors, It has no cd-rom. But Its a little out off date.

now I wan`t to buy a new one. Wich one do You suggest? I am considering new IBM T43, a little over $2k. It looks very secure,

I have only heard good about IBM, Its a little more expensive then others, but they work very well.

Stuff

Domain Days 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a dell 700m and have never had any problems with it.

Flubber

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I reccommend surfing the dell outlet site (laptops) and checking out some of the bargains.

I caught a very good pc from the outlet site and im very pleased with it, saved about £600 off the list price on the dell site.

Flubber

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been using IBM brand puters for more than a decade. Yes, they were more expensive because their support was (yes, was) better and it cost. But then my last experience with them sucked. The CD-RW/DVD combo drive that came with the desktop I bought failed almost from day 1. (My fault of not checking more thoroughly within the first 30 days.) They (support) had been asking me to do this and that before finally just telling me to do a "recovery" (a.k.a. format your hard drive). It took me 2 YEARS to finally have them replace the damaged CD drive with a new, working one. I swear I would NEVER buy from them again.

But then, you know what? There is no longer any IBM PC! They have been acquired by Lenovo, a Chinese company.

I now use a Toshiba notebook which is good.

By the way, from the market share perspective, Dell is leading both globally and in the U.S., implying that their machines are not bad. I may actually buy a notebook from them in a couple of months. ;)

unholy1

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use an IBM X40 in the office and recently got a T43 at home...

The T43 is definitely the best laptop I've used so far...sure it's ugly (like all ibm laptops) and a little heavy for travelling with but the performance is excellent esp. if you add an additional 512MB RAM.
Had a few bugs with the biometric fingerprint security lock though, but it seems to working fine as of late.
Just hook up a firewire Maxtor 500GB External drive and you should have everything you need.
The only thing the bugs me about the T43 is that they don't ship with DVD writers, just a CD-RW combo.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
unholy1 said:
I use an IBM X40 in the office and recently got a T43 at home...

The T43 is definitely the best laptop I've used so far...sure it's ugly (like all ibm laptops) and a little heavy for travelling with but the performance is excellent esp. if you add an additional 512MB RAM.
Had a few bugs with the biometric fingerprint security lock though, but it seems to working fine as of late.
Just hook up a firewire Maxtor 500GB External drive and you should have everything you need.
The only thing the bugs me about the T43 is that they don't ship with DVD writers, just a CD-RW combo.

Thats all I wanted to know, I was thing off this additional RAM and I really don`t need a DVD writer.

monkeyhead

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hp and Dell Laptops are the ones that ive had the most success with. Dell can be expensive for what it is, whilst Hp can be quite a resonable price. I've all had experince with Sony vaio. But they are pricey!
Matt

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
and I really don`t need a DVD writer.
I actually find DVD-/+RW VERY useful, NOT for movies, but esp. for unscheduled, random backup; 650MB for CD-R(W) is getting inadequate. With say 4.7GB, you can easily reduce the number of our CDs by 7 fold.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did go with IBM T43,
Looks very good.
also have some problems with this fingerprint reader

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did already buy this T43 :)

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Use a Dell coupon, you can save $750 on a $1499 laptop. Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom