Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Laptops: Which should I buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi all, since my previous post about my e-bay laptop purchase that failed. I wanted your opinions on whuch laptop you think is best for it's price and the reasons.

I own an IBM Thinkpad and an old HP.

Domain Days 2024

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony Vaio, and am very please. One suggestion, stay away from any computer with a Intel Celeron processor. Prior to the Sony, I had two cheap HP's with celeron processors, and my computers kept crashing, so I took them back and upgraded to the Sony...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, go with Dell if you're on a budget. If you like brand names, Toshiba has been one of the poineers in the laptop market. For the old schoolers, IBM or Lenovo is your only choice.

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sony has the best bang for the buck with quality, Dell has very affordable laptops that are ok, however the thinkpads are awsome but a little costly.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did also buy the IBM T43, very happy with it. but the price is in $2k range.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:
Hi all, since my previous post about my e-bay laptop purchase that failed. I wanted your opinions on whuch laptop you think is best for it's price and the reasons.

I couldn't be happer with my used $500 Dell C610 laptop. The specs are only 1Ghz and 256Mb Ram, but it does the job nicely for work purposes, and laptops ain't for gaming anyway so I ain't fussed not having better specs...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:
Nameslave, could you please explain.
Some people only buy computers from IBM, copier from Xerox and film from Kodak. The good thing is these companies are actually selling high quality products; the bad thing is there are equally high quality products selling at lower prices elsewhere.

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got a ASUS laptop and I'm very pleased with it. They actually manufacture laptops for other brand names such as Sony.

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have heard good things about Toshibas and Dells.

I personally use an IBM T-Series laptop and its quite good. I don't know if anything has changed quality wise since the purchase by Lenovo, but you should look around for them.

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:

Fab I Have a few Dell coupons if you want one let me know I will give you one. Personally I have a few Inspiron 9300s same as the Ultra High end XPS Notebooks without all the lights :>) 9300 With the 17 inch screen is a great desktop Replacment, But I carry it around. Also use dell home.

fab said:

$750 off $1999+ Inspiron notebook purchases! Use code: CC2$$MRTCWJ5FD
This is for dell home Configure any inspiron notebook to $1999 and add the coupon at end its yours for 1250 + Tax Enjoy.
Also Get the Geforce 6800GT mobile graphics card its worth every penny. Almost 10,000 on 3dmark 03 opposed to 1500 range for the X300 Series.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$750 off $1999+ Inspiron notebook purchases! Use code: CC2$$MRTCWJ5FD
This is for dell home Configure any inspiron notebook to $1999 and add the coupon at end its yours for 1250 + Tax Enjoy.
Also Get the Geforce 6800GT mobile graphics card its worth every penny. Almost 10,000 on 3dmark 03 opposed to 1500 range for the X300 Series.

Where are these available through, Dell's web-site or any retailer?

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Inspiron 9300 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 Unit Price $1,926.00
Save $350 on select Inspiron notebook purchases $1499 or more
Limited Time Offer!
- $350.00

Catalog Number: 29
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 9300 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Display 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
Hard Drive 100GB 5400rpmHard Drive
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD/DVD Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
Primary Battery 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr)
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support
Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected - includes limited use trial
Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience

Here is a great setup add something to go over 2000. to use the 750 off. The big battery is a must on this 17 inch screen laptop. The small one lasts less than an hour with bluetooth and the wireless on. The big one 2 HRS+ Depending how hard you use it.

Fab Dell.com then click Home and home office.

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Anytime Enjoy PM sent just add DVD Burner to go over 2000 for 1250. They do charge tax though

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have also Sony Vaio and I am very happy with it

J2theIZZO

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've got an Acer Ferrari 4005, very very happy with it.

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I finally switched to a mac. I bought the powerbook g4 17" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom