Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Launching new website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello DNF,

The backstory: I picked up a plural, generic .net that I'm currently developing. I paid 1500 for the domain, which I believe was a great deal. I have my programmer finishing up my 100% custom and optimized design. I had 10 custom images created for 100 and I'm paying an awesome writer 55 an hour to create the content.

I am fairly confident I will receive, in the neighborhood of, 1,000,000 uniques my first year.

I will eventually be monetizing through a coop with a Fortune 500 company who spends roughly 50k a month with Google for advertising....

But what should I do to monetize during my launch?

I feel Adsense would degrade my presence and brand. There are tons of related products which could quickly produce huge returns through affiliate sales. How should I go about it though? Should I review top of the line products? Should I open a shop? I've only dabbled in affiliate marketing so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Shane

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have my programmer finishing up my 100% custom and optimized design... I'm paying an awesome writer 55 an hour to create the content... There are tons of related products which could quickly produce huge returns through affiliate sales. How should I go about it though? Should I review top of the line products? Should I open a shop?..

Don't mean to be cheeky, but your programmer, writer and yourself should have discussed this before getting to this late stage or at least you should have decided how you were going to monetize before the programmer and writer started. It's called a plan. :)

Of course it can still be done, but you'll probably find it a pain whatever you decide to do. Good luck!

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hah. Well, I do have my long term strategy in place. I'm just interested in testing out some affiliate options as well in the near term. I'm a firm believer running a successful website requires constant adaptation and optimization; so as I build my plan will continue to evolve. I appreciate the comment though!

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to be cheeky, but your programmer, writer and yourself should have discussed this before getting to this late stage or at least you should have decided how you were going to monetize before the programmer and writer started. It's called a plan. :)

Of course it can still be done, but you'll probably find it a pain whatever you decide to do. Good luck!

you took my thoughts :)

you say you don't want to use adsense, because "it would degrade your brand and presence"

to me, that makes no cents.

when the real concern should be about doing this project on a .net

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am fairly confident I will receive, in the neighborhood of, 1,000,000 uniques my first year.

I see you have put a lot of thought into your project. How do you plan to obtain and keep targeted traffic while growing a user base? This should be the main focus.

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer running a successful website requires constant adaptation and optimization;

One does not have to beleive that, it's a fact! What I was getting at was from the very start of a project, communication between your programmer, writer and yourself is crucial. All parties involved need to know what their exit strategy is, the end goal of the design process which includes monetization, before the 'constant adaptation and optimization;' phase begins.

I don't think I can supply a link to a good site, ref:affiliate marketing, as it's another forum, but plenty of warriors go there.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
..that makes no cents..

:smilewinkgrin:

when the real concern should be about doing this project on a .net

I'm actually not concerned about the extension at all. 100% of the traffic will be organic. The plan is to launch and hopefully make a big enough splash to justify the cost of the .com. It's currently being used by an unrelated business (owners last name) BUT... they are rather successful in their field.

I see you have put a lot of thought into your project. How do you plan to obtain and keep targeted traffic while growing a user base? This should be the main focus.

My main focus is user retention. By day I'm marketing strategist and by night I'm a developer (and a shitty domainer). I've created a detailed plan that highlights both my entry points and "content anchors".

One does not have to beleive that, it's a fact! What I was getting at was from the very start of a project, communication between your programmer, writer and yourself is crucial. All parties involved need to know what their exit strategy is, the end goal of the design process which includes monetization, before the 'constant adaptation and optimization;' phase begins.

I understand but theres nothing I can do about it now. :)

My long term monetization strategy which has been here since the very start. The problem is I came up with an idea for the launch which has a VERY high probability of going viral and now I'm worried about leaving money on the table.

Thanks for all of the comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom