Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Law Enforcement Push for Stricter Domain Name Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck

Law enforcement officials in the U.K. and U.S. are pushing the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers to put in place measures that would help reduce abuse of the domain name system.

PC World Article

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, soon you'll need SSN + fingerprint to register a domain.

idevelop

Level 3
Reaction score
The writing has been on the wall for a long time in relation to Big Brother trying to find a way to control the net.. I understand some regulations should be in place, but I think once they get their foot in the door, there will be no stopping them taking it a little bit further at their discretion.

the internet is the last FREE SPEECH forum and should stay like that. IMO

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its about time

If you haven't worked it out yet, regulations are easy to circumvent on the internet, like a lot of laws they would only be annoying to legitimate users and would do little to impact anything like spam or phishing.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

I think free speech will continue to live on :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't laugh, when you see how visitors to the US are treated at customs, it gives you a glimpse of the things to come.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they most likely will be be able to track and TAX better if they start using SSN or SIN (canadian) to register.

Diabro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The writing has been on the wall for a long time in relation to Big Brother trying to find a way to control the net.. I understand some regulations should be in place, but I think once they get their foot in the door, there will be no stopping them taking it a little bit further at their discretion.

The problem is that the vast majority of people think that there need to be regulations and they will feel no sympathy for the good people this infringes upon. There are a small amount of effective people and groups that take advantage and ruin a good thing.

Also I think the lack of accountability on the Internet makes people more often than not question the value of that free speech.

DNF81229

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Free flow of information and knowledge is too big an equalizer to vested interests.

And nothing enables and promotes such freedom as effectively and efficiently as
the Internet. So expect powerful and ceaseless efforts to subvert such freedom
until its freedom or usefulness ceases to exist for all practical purposes.

"How much Internet access can you afford?" may become a common question,
like in mortgage, education and health care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom