Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Leasing a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on leasing a domain to a client? Is it straightforward, or what things do you have to be aware of?

I have found domain leasing documents, but as with everything legal they are still probably full of grey areas.

I am really encouraged by the amount of sales and interest over the last few months, I hope that everyone else is experiencing the same. Maybe businesses are finally getting it :).

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am really encouraged by the amount of sales and interest over the last few months, I hope that everyone else is experiencing the same. Maybe businesses are finally getting it :).

There seems to be reasonable optimism in the economy.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I leased before - cash was all upfront and never gave them control of the domain. That's the key i think.

Leasing is great if you can't get the sale... always push for the sale though. :)

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on leasing a domain to a client? Is it straightforward, or what things do you have to be aware of?

I have found domain leasing documents, but as with everything legal they are still probably full of grey areas.

Use post-dated cheques or a PayPal subscription. Also watch out for your long-term rights: they may over time 'earn' the 'right' to keep the domain, regardless of your agreement.

If it for a good sum it would be worthwhile investing in a competent lawyer writing an agreement for you.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The real concern I have with leasing is making sure the leasors don't run anything illegal or start spam mailing with a domain that is still in my name.

I have rented a few of my domains (mostly real estate related) short term but the people involved had pretty good reputations

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good point - but it is even harder when people pretend to be someone else.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have only rented to people that I can verify and talk to on the phone and feel comfortable with. I don't want the money bad enough to rent to someone I don't know.

DC20

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, it is my personal opinion:

Maybe phrase it as a purchase over time. It would make them more comfortable with paying a larger amount every month because they are not renting it but buying it as an asset. It also creates a clearer intent and that they are in breach of contract if they fail to complete the purchase....rather than renting and possibly getting some kinds of rights by simple us over time....an unpaid purchase is an unpaid purchase. Ask the foreclosure industry.

Just my $0.02,
DC20

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would agree.

A few years ago we financed a larger sale and the deal was structured as a lease to own, which made things far easier to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom