Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Legal Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyat11

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi, I purchased a domain that the old owner claimes copyrighted anyways if it was copywrited do I have full custody of it or should I cover my butt and give it to them?
Andy

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He has the DOMAIN copywritten or the WEBSITE?

I'm not a lawyer but I don't think it's possible to copyright a domain name and have that mean anything.

andyat11

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I checked on archive.org it says blobloblo.whatever copyright 2003

ERCollins

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if he has a trademark this worry untill then, he has nothing copyrights can be on content but not on domain names.

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ecollins said:
if he has a trademark this worry untill then, he has nothing copyrights can be on content but not on domain names.

Yah, it sounds like a scare tactic to get you to fork over the domain. To my knowledge people that have things trademarked don't send threat letters with copyright in the place of the word trademark ;)

andyat11

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well the domain is crazydogranch.net (not advertising if considered remove it)... is there anything I can get introuble fore?
Andy

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Copyright would only be for his content. This would have nothing to do with the domain name you now own. It seems like he let it drop and didn't mean to. To check to see if he has a trademark visit http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk If there is no trademark you have nothing to worry about. I would either sell it to him or keep it for yourself. Call his bluff and tell him you want proof and only wish to be contacted through certified mail.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This sounds like an issue of trademark and not copyright. Lots of poeple use incorrect words.

I'm sorry, but

"To check to see if he has a trademark visit http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe...nglish&p_d=trmk If there is no trademark you have nothing to worry about. "

is completely misleading.

That site looks for *registered* *federal U.S.* trademarks. It's also possible that the trademark is registered with another governmental body, like a US state or another country. But trademarks do not have to be registered to be valid. Registration just gives you a stronger legal protection.

CrazyDogRanch.net sounds fairly specific. Depending upon your anticipated use of the domain it could very well be an infringement. It may not be. But there needs to be all sorts of facts in evidence before someone can say for sure. Taking legal advice from a bunch of random people on a website is not a good idea. If you want a full answer, consult a lawyer with experience in the laws and policies involved with domain names and give them all the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom