Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Legal issues with similar sounding domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

manish

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am planing to register a domain name which sounds similar to an existing website and I plan to start the same business as the existing website. The current site has not applied for a TM. Is it legal for me to book this domain name and start the same business ? What if I apply for a TM, can I bring the other guy's website down ? What if the other guy registers the TM (after I have started my website) can he force me to pull my website down ?

Any advices, experiences or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I AM NOT A LAWYER, but I think it counts for something in the legal system that the existing established site was up, running and established BEFORE you started yours.

I am afraid you will do nothing but cause trouble for yourself going down this road. Why not come up with a unique name and compete vigorously on the merits of your (hopefully better) business model?

manish

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, i dropped the idea of registering those names. I see many people run and sell websites with a The(popular domain).com. How valid are such domain names and what should one do if someone registers a "The" version of their website ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom