Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

link popularity = what value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottatmu

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I am getting a domain with following link popularity:

AllTheWeb: 4700
AltaVista: 700
MSN: 100
Total: 5500 LINKS

It use to be a business years ago, but haven't done much of anything over the past few years. It moved down to the mid-million traffic rank on Alexa.

On average, what do you think the value would be? The business they were in is a huge market right now.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Almost impossible to say without knowing the domain name.

If it's a non-sensical or made-up and brandable name but has lots of links it had dubious value as they could fade away quickly.

A good Real Name or Industry Term/Phrase with all the links is valuable.

What is the name?

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AllTheWeb almost always has inflated numbers. I try to pay attention to the Google/AOL & MSN links the most.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ken is Right! Google and AOL are very good indicators.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All the Web picks up pages from the so called "invisible web" that the other engines do not pick up. These are database pages like .ASP. One of our sites, ATY.COM has over a thousand such pages and All the Web picks all of those up. So 1,000 or more of their links may just be a lot of database pages from the same site.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Right. Don't pay much attention to the 'AllTheWeb' links - but DO pay attention to the others.

I have recently been buying expired names with link pop - and one of my sites is getting some great results from a couple of the names which are now parked on it. I research the links carefully though - before I buy or register.

Something you can do - is click the link# that shows at MarketLeap - and then go SEE who is linking to the name - and how old the links are. This is very helpful when trying to determine if they are the type of links that will really help you. Sometimes you won't always be able to get to each link - but you can get a good overall feel for how current they are and what type of sites are linking to the name.

I've bought names with 2000 links that sent almost no traffic - and I've bought names with 100 links that send a steady stream of visitors. So try to actually check out the links themselves - as well as the amount of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom