Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Looking for advice on how to catch a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

petertdavis

Don't be afraid to see...
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's a domain I'm interested in that expired in early February, was registered at register.com. What's my best strategy to get this domain, when I go in namewinner.com to try to bid on it, it says "No matches were found."

opportunitymagic

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sometimes with namewinner they have to be already in pending delete for them to backorder a name. Try Pool.com, you can backorder a name at anytime. If more then just you are bidding on the name then It will go into auction, and you have the ability to bid on the name with the others.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's my best strategy to get this domain

How badly do you want the domain? Only go the backorder route if you have a long time horizon and want to sit around for a year (or years if they renew). I'd say contacting the current owner is the best course of action on a new registration like that.

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats bad NameWinner wont work its a great service.

petertdavis

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's probably two other people in the whole world that would care about that domain, it's not the type of traffic that would make a lot of money. I doubt the others know much about catching drop domains, though. I'm a bit nervous about using Pool, after reading about them here.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have you tried ordering it using the bulk bidding feature at Namewinner rather than the normal "Search For" route?

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
petertdavis said:
There's probably two other people in the whole world that would care about that domain, it's not the type of traffic that would make a lot of money. I doubt the others know much about catching drop domains, though. I'm a bit nervous about using Pool, after reading about them here.

Pool is great for catching low-demand names that you badly want. If you're absolutely certain that no one else is going for it and it's worth $60 to you, try pool. Get the Snapback and bid on it at namewinner if you want to cover all your bases.

Since the domain won't drop for over a year, put it on your calendar and check it once it's expired... IMHO there's no use in trying to backorder an active domain now.

My advice about contacting the current owner stands.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nameable said:
Since the domain won't drop for over a year, put it on your calendar and check it once it's expired... IMHO there's no use in trying to backorder an active domain now.

My advice about contacting the current owner stands.

I thought he said it expired in February - also contacting the owner can have its own problems, maybe losing the domain by drawing their attention to it or highlighting the value to its owner when he/she may see no value in it.

petertdavis

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why would it not drop for a year? It expired first week of February. The former owner knows, it was an active website the owner gave up on and he don't want anything to do with it anymore. Already another guy offered him to buy it, and he says he doesn't want anything to do with it, whover gets it after it drops can have it.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see, I misread your post, sorry. I took it to mean that it was re-registered at RCOM. They are known for their "unpaid names dept" shenanigans.

If even one other person is after it, then it's in demand. You should cover your bases with all the drop catchers.

petertdavis

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Have you tried ordering it using the bulk bidding feature at Namewinner rather than the normal "Search For" route?

That seems to have worked. Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom