Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Looking for info about Classifieds domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaveDots

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So far, I haven't been able to find much info on this forum about Classifieds domain names. I have a couple and am wondering if there is still room for classifieds sites or if the internet is too saturated with them already.

The names I own are .com's and are highly searched category words. What I mean: xxxxxxClassifieds.com. Do I have a chance of selling them or should I build on them?

Thanks to anyone with some advice on this.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So far, I haven't been able to find much info on this forum about Classifieds domain names. I have a couple and am wondering if there is still room for classifieds sites or if the internet is too saturated with them already.

The names I own are .com's and are highly searched category words. What I mean: xxxxxxClassifieds.com. Do I have a chance of selling them or should I build on them?

Thanks to anyone with some advice on this.

Hi

i advise you post them in the Appraisal section and ask for development ideas as well.

though most of the newer classified ad type sites now use brandable names like "angie's list" "craigs list", etc.

but i think there's room for one more :)

HaveDots

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you Biggedon. That's good news to hear. Posting them in the Appraisal section is a good idea too. I'll definitely do that soon. I've been over in that section checking out some of the Appraisals being given out...it's a great resource! Thanks again.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO the market is saturated.
But I think there is room for specialty markets and local sites too.

HaveDots

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Katherine. The names are definitely targeted, and I'm leaning toward developing at least one of the better ones, which was my original intention. I was looking for forum threads on the subject without much luck, and was particularly interested in finding info about what other people have used to build their classified sites with. Some time ago, I looked into possibly using 68classifieds, and it seems to be the best I've found so far. I was also wondering if it's possible to successfully use Wordpress to build a large, stable classifieds site with one of their plugins? I know WP has them, but I'm wondering if it would be wiser to use something else instead. Please keep me in mind if you know or hear of anything that would be better. I'll also take Biggedon's advice above and submit the names to the appraisal section when I'm ready. Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Noahs Classifieds....Period, There is no comparison

HaveDots

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I looked at Noah's once before and liked it. I'll check the features out again. Thanks doc24.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you can sell them... do it.

It's far too saturated, and you have to take on all kinds of liability as people are interacting, meeting up, etc. using your site as a platform.

Craigslist and Kijiji positively dominate the marketplace, and fitting in there doing the same thing they're doing while not just attracting, but stealing the attention from the big boys is virtually impossible.

I tried to start one about a year and a half ago... couldn't get past the initial steps.

If you can't/don't want to sell them, try and develop it as a PPC site. If the keywords are highly searched, you're bound to get traffic.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
geodesic if you want to buy a basic package and ADD all the other items that you will need, very pricey

HaveDots

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
grcorp,
Your points are very well made and eye opening. Thank you. And ,you have brought up another question I had: How do websites protect themselves other than posting liability statements, or is that generally enough?

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Hi Tom,
Since the market is so saturated, and the big guns like Craigslist have it cornered, are local classifieds the way to go? IYO. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Katherine,
Thanks to you, ezimedia, and Doc24 for pointing out geodesicsolutions. I'll check it out. :)

gawnd

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm buying in this space, so PM me the names if you're interested in selling.

HaveDots

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gwand,

I will keep you in mind and pm you when I'm ready to sell. I have a couple that I might part with, but not quite yet.

Thanks for your interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom