Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Looking for some VC funding, where should I post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNF would probably not suit your needs in this arena. A domainer with a generic or worth wild name or plan would likely consider other options then a layman's post.

Big P

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He might be looking for a small investment..

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He might be looking for a small investment..

Apologies... but why would anyone need a vc for a "small investment".The answer is imposed via the question... Or best be it I reappraise?

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would me more like Angel or Micro lenders.

Try - Meetup.com or / and create a Facebook group.

Big P

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Apologies... but why would anyone need a vc for a "small investment".The answer is imposed via the question... Or best be it I reappraise?

No apologies needed, I was just thinking that he might not need VC funding as we know it, I was thinking he might be trying to do something on a smaller level & maybe someone here could possible help him out.

adityas

SEO King
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNF would probably not suit your needs in this arena. A domainer with a generic or worth wild name or plan would likely consider other options then a layman's post.

Thanks for assuming that I need someone with a generic name, I am pretty sure I didn't say that.

Aditya

First up, I am not looking for a VC here in the suggestions and feedback area.

Just wanted to know if there is an appropriate area where I can post, so I don't suffer an infraction.

Secondly, about the layman post. I have a biz plan, and also a business prospectus. I am not the type of guy who wakes up one morning, reads a rags to riches story, wanks out ideas and posts asking for VC's.

Now that, that is cleared, moving on again.....

I need a VC, and yes it is a small project, which will need a 'small' investment. Notice how I mark small in single quotes. I need a VC who can stay invested. It's not about how big or small the investment is, it is about the capacity to stay invested.

I figure, DNF is the best place to put out my request. As, I feel there are people here who have the spending capacity that maybe requried. Secondly, my service is for the domainers. And who better to realize a domainers requirement, than another domainer.

BigP You were spot on with both your posts.

Nameadvertising, I am already looking at those options, thanks a ton :)

Thanks,
Aditya

P.S. Any idea where I can make a post, without getting an infraction?

Last edited:

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The DNF ecosystem has not advanced beyond the daily barter and goods exchange system used by traders hundreds of years ago. Besides coming here for a quick sale and a quick buy, this forum lacks long term vision. If you built a personal rapport with a few here, then it might work in your favor.

As opposed to getting a one time help, a domainer is the last person to advance your business cause, even if you present em the sky. You'd be better off going to some one outside the domaining realm who will look at your proposal from outside the box and not from a competitors angle.

I say this from experience. Asking another fisherman to invest in you so you can get a bigger net just does not happen. If someone has a positive experience, please share so those like Aditya can benefit from it.

Big P

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good luck adityas, keep us updated.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The DNF ecosystem has not advanced beyond the daily barter and goods exchange system used by traders hundreds of years ago. Besides coming here for a quick sale and a quick buy, this forum lacks long term vision. If you built a personal rapport with a few here, then it might work in your favor.

As opposed to getting a one time help, a domainer is the last person to advance your business cause, even if you present em the sky. You'd be better off going to some one outside the domaining realm who will look at your proposal from outside the box and not from a competitors angle.

I say this from experience. Asking another fisherman to invest in you so you can get a bigger net just does not happen. If someone has a positive experience, please share so those like Aditya can benefit from it.

basically, i agree with that viewpoint.

however -

imo...

i would be suspect of one who has already tried to advertise a service, where they have no previous experience in.

then want to post for someone to invest/finance in their scheme, within the same venue.

it gives the appearance that one is desperately trying to milk the community.

i suggest that one first establish some credibility and lists of accomplishments for their service, before they seek VC funding, which also should be sought outside this venue.

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Point well taken. I believe what Aditya was trying to do even before trying to get some funding for his project was nudge at the door to take a peek inside if this was the right venue to take this approach. He was guarded as he so states in his subsequent post.

Posting credentials is however a must. But, that could be initiated if and when he finds a common ground. I was not at all sarcastic when I mentioned DNF's limitations to advance ideas such as these. I realize that It would invite too many legal and logistical hazards in trying to be a fertile ground for joint ventures.

One major reason why domainers (even with a great business plan) find it hard to gain credibility far as being able to receive funding from legitimate VC and angel investors is because the dark cloud hanging over domaining being a clean business still hangs.

Today, domain sales price manipulation, typo suatting, click fraud exists - it will be hard to make a judgment call for domaining to be a legitimate profession anytime soon.

It will be a good day when a 7 year old tells his parents, "I want to be a domainer when I grow up."

I am going to find resources in the coming days (if I find any) for Aditya and others who may be interested in raising funds for their business plan and post in right in this thread.

If anyone would like to contribute, it will be nice to do so.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
again, agree with most of your comments, but this...

One major reason why domainers (even with a great business plan) find it hard to gain credibility far as being able to receive funding from legitimate VC and angel investors is because the dark cloud hanging over domaining being a clean business still hangs.

imo...

that cloud exists more for domainers in their own minds, compared to those who know nothing about domains.

also, VC funders look for viable services that provide or can show projected growth and revenues.

credible business models are a must

here's a link to a guy that i read on the regular.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/spirrison/index.html

adityas

SEO King
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since this has become a VC funding topic, I might as well add.

Gobignetwork.com is a decent place to start as well. Discovered it only yesterday. Getting acquainted with the site now...
So far, it is making perfect sense to me to become a part of this new site, as the VC that I need will invest about 70% of my requirement, while I fund the other 30%. Plus my investment is a going to need a brick and mortar infrastructure.

I will need to have staff on contract, skilled labor who can help my 'new domain monetization service + some sort of a authority site'. I will need about 5 staff to do the implementation. So, once again, the ability to stay invested is important.

And just for the record. My brokerage service has nothing to do with my funding request. I was not born yesterday :)

Secondly, if you read my post carefully, I have mentioned that I am getting actively involved in brokering because I HAVE certain clients who have become friends and I feel I maybe able to sell stuff to them. I wish to do nothing beyond that.

Regards,
Aditya

This thread has gone from, Where do I make a post-----to-----what I am going to invest in----to----am I asking for funding for a new project which I have lanuched in DNF, and I also mentioned in that post that don't have a fancy track record lol-------to me justifying my damn post. Stop assuming things 'you' guys......I am refering to certain people.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread has gone from, Where do I make a post-----to-----what I am going to invest in----to----am I asking for funding for a new project which I have lanuched in DNF, and I also mentioned in that post that don't have a fancy track record lol-------to me justifying my damn post. Stop assuming things 'you' guys......I am refering to certain people.

if you're referring to me

i can assume whatever i want, until you post info that leads me to think otherwise

if you don't post, then you give nothing to assume

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for VC funding for one of my new projects, which is the best sub-forum to create a thread?

Regards,
Aditya
I have personally not done this before.

But I have known someone who has so I will try to catch up with them.

Be prepared to prepare a very detailed business plan and model for review. Legitimate VC's have little time to waste. And the legitimate ones have perhaps hundreds or thousands to review.

Your's has to stand out from the rest.

If you are prepared to travel, some VC firms hold a screening. These are usually announced in advanced. Each applicant has their "15 minutes of fame" (which I think is actually 5 minutes) to pitch their ideas or products to the audience made up of many VC or private investors. Typically, ideas are not sellible without a working model of the idea (Beta site).

It is my understanding it is very much like writing for grants and grant reviews so be prepared to also jump through many hoops. Any missing information or sloppy or poorly worded proposal and tossed.

Also, if successful in your quest, verify, verify, verify the validity and trustworthiness of the VC either from the BBB or Dun and Bradstreet.

And it never hurts to get an attorney involved to review the documents you prepare and any documents granting your request.

Getting an attorney involved early in the process is much better and smoother than trying to get one to review all the paperwork should you be successful. Using this method they are already aware of the matter and would have a good grasp and scope of the project if approved.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom