Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Looking to start 2 new forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to create 2 new forums, I have very little experience running forums but hey we all have to start sometime.

My question is should I spend the money and go with vBulletin or go open source with phpBB?

Thanks

Domain Days 2024

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to go with phpBB. If the forum takes off, then you can move to VB. But don't spend the money because the forum might not take off. You can sell owned vb licenses, but why go with the hassle of even buying it in the first place.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
VB

And be prepared to spend a lot of time getting them going

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And start with a few forums and then expand. This way it makes the forum look full instead of having many forums but only threads in a few of them. Then when you have the site established you can create another site.

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking i'm gonna hire someone to help design them, I can do the default stuff but who wants to join a ugly default forum. I think JDK has a very valid point, thanks.

One domain I picked up on a drop, it used to be quite large but that was a year ago, the other I got alot of positive feedback on as there is not a whole lot out there on that topic.

I think it's a good idea to go with phpBB. If the forum takes off, then you can move to VB.

Can you tell me why I would need to go to VB later, is it better?

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Start with vB. It's always good to have a vB handy even if your not using it, so you can go out on a limb with a project. I have one, but I am thinking about getting a few more liscenses.

Mark Bolyard

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mppedersen, I sent you a PM. I think VB is deffinitly the route to go. Explained a few things in the PM, but really my first thought is since it would be easy to resell your VB license should your forums not work out, it would be a minimal loss, but a time saver should you try to use phpbb first and want to import posts, threads, users, etc and risk loosing information...

Just my thought... Good luck.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy to port phpBB over to vB, but if you care about these forums, and they are not to flip for a quick buck, start with vB.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mppedersen said:
I'm thinking i'm gonna hire someone to help design them, I can do the default stuff but who wants to join a ugly default forum.
have you checked these out: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?db=2
They're very easy to customize. There's also many sites you can purchase skins for $15-$40 bucks. Unless you want something completely unique, I wouldn't go hire a designer.

mppedersen said:
Can you tell me why I would need to go to VB later, is it better?
VB is more pro and clean looking. Most definitely use VB if you plan on keeping your forums and/or you really care about the site and/or subject.

phpbb is a good alternative if you're not into the site content and you're just looking to make a profit off it or you just want to save money..People will sign up whether its phpbb or VB or invision board or whatever..so it's not like your going to lose potential interest by going phpbb. Plus, you can move it over to VB later if you want.

good luck.

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. These are 2 that I think I want to have for the long haul. I'm hopeing it will be fun and if I get some good mods should end up working out.

Also I think it would be eaiser on members if you are not switching things so I think I will go with VB.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
unless you have some experience with programming, I would go with VB (which still requires some programming)..

DogFaceBoy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Use VB.

Also make sure you spend some decent money on advertising within your budget. Will increase the PR, site/brand awareness, traffic, and gain you some forum members.

The hard part is always starting your first forum and getting a good base of members. Once you have 1 big forum, it only takes days to make another big forum.

Hope this helps on your journey through the forum world.

Regards,
Doggie

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rarethings said:
unless you have some experience with programming, I would go with VB (which still requires some programming)..

Sorry, that's simply not true. HTML knowledge is only required to run and manage a PHPBB forum, and probably any other forum powered software.

It's when you start getting into the mods, things can become a little more complex.

DogFaceBoy said:
Once you have 1 big forum, it only takes days to make another big forum.

Unless the other forum is based on a very similar topic, how so? :huh:

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let your members know that you are serious about the site and show some upfront commitment by going with vBulletin. I own several vB licenses and have never looked back. If your members can tell that you are just getting your feet wet, then they won't want to commit either. They will just get their feet wet with your forum and move on.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry but just because you are VB doesn't mean you have a "serious" site or won't commit long term. Don't forget the #1 online forums is PHPBB.

I think theme is also an issue. If you target audience is professionals then yeah..maybe VB is the way to go. Also webmasters and such as they recognize VB and have favoritism toward it. However I find phpbb to be excellent to get your feet wet. If these are your first forums why bother paying for software that you can get free? Also SMF (simple machine forums) is excellent too and making some serious headway against phpbb. There are so many factors with choosing a forums software. Also consider a template. Will the basic VB template be ok? Normally it's not. What people here are not telling you is that most professional sites custom skin VB. Which will cost you even more money. PHPBB has over a hundred free templates and many are very good and are GNU so you can modify them even further to your liking. VB tends to be a strong stable forums but you should not consider phpbb to really be all that inferior. A $20 bill crisp from the mint vs a used one that's been through the wash still spends the exact same. Forums software is similar. VB looks better but really it's all the same. Any feature in VB you can get for phpbb.

petertdavis

Don't be afraid to see...
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest differences between phpBB and vBulletin can be found in the admin control panel. From the point of view of the average member, there's not a whole lot of difference.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i would start with phpbb, theres nothing wrong with it and works just as well as VBulletin

LeeD

Soli Deo Gloria
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I personally start all my forums with vB, but if funds are limited then phpBB is a good option. As GiantDomains said you can always make the switch. Be persistent, make a time commitment, and with a lot of hard work you can do well. I wish you success!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom