Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Lost two of my domain names by not paying and trying to get them back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willpower101

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sigh, the forum showed two posts so I deleted one and they both deleted.

I guess I should just focus on my .Net and not worry about the .com. They'll never be able to sell it anyway.

What I meant earlier is why would someone look at a drop list and go, "Oooh, firstnamelastname.com, I guess I'll buy that!"
Or why would they put an expensive backorder on someone's firstlast?
Unless it's an automated process, I just don't get why they would want such a random name.
(I could understand something like bobsmith.com - common, or obama.com - famous )

willpower101.com is still at name.com, not dropped yet, might still appear at: http://www.name.com/expired_domains.php
Oh, /facepalm, I'm such a noob at this. I didn't even realize I could search for the exact date my names expire. willpower101's not on that list yet though. But I'll watch. Thanks.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

willpower101

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm surprised no one suggested this. I can apparently file a UDRP under ACPA?
ACPA states that if they buy someone's legal name and then attempt to profit from it, they can lose the arbitration. I've been looking at WIPO decisions and it seems they only loose in cases where the defendant already used the legal name because part or all of it was their own.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Obviously, you can file a UDRP. You'll need at least $1,500 for the filing itself, plus legal costs. The question that boggles the mind, why didn't you spend the $10 or so to renew the domain ahead of time?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Obviously, you can file a UDRP. You'll need at least $1,500 for the filing itself, plus legal costs. The question that boggles the mind, why didn't you spend the $10 or so to renew the domain ahead of time?
I missed your kind, gentle, caring words and responses. Bloody Hell!

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They bought it more than likely from reading this post in hopes you would buy it back from them. They listed it at Buydomains for $1,695.

I would let it go and let them eat the reg fee.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lesson learned !

In the early days, before I realized the full value of domain names, I let a few domains go and - no offense :) - they were quite better.
In fact I managed to buy most of them back.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They bought it more than likely from reading this post in hopes you would buy it back from them.
I think that seldom happens, if ever.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would put a backorder at Snapnames, Pool, and Namejet. GoDaddy never got a name for me. Waste of money.

Yeah, Godaddy has dropped 2 domains that were held with them that I had backorders on

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm surprised no one suggested this. I can apparently file a UDRP under ACPA?
ACPA states that if they buy someone's legal name and then attempt to profit from it, they can lose the arbitration. I've been looking at WIPO decisions and it seems they only loose in cases where the defendant already used the legal name because part or all of it was their own.

I get emails from people like you everyday, and no, I don't own it.

willpower101

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeouch. They can keep it. Lol. (Sorry I did not know about UDRP) Although if I ever had 1500 to burn I'd pay that in a heartbeat before paying them 1695.

My debit card number changed in the last year. I got a notice that it was dropping and then a week later caught the flu and it was the last thing on my mind. When I cleared up I remembered to check them and bam, they were in that status and name.com said they could do nothing about it. (Antoher one they offered me to pay 300+ to get back but I didn't have the money and didn't really care that much.)

I get emails from people like you everyday, and no, I don't own it.
You take people's firstnamelastname.com and get emails from them? But what happens if they file and win? You're then out the money and it's a big hassle. If you're talking about just any old domain name, sure that's silly to demand it back. That's also different than cybersquatting someone's legal name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators