Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Major Companies .IN EXT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had some time on my hands and was searching the whois of the .in extentions of some of the major companies and found that most don't own their names there.
It seems that the-"National Internet Exchange of India" owns several like yahoo.in
google.in
ibm.in
hotmail.in.
I know they are India's official ISP police, to make sure traffic is routed from within India but why would they be withholding these names?

Another question is askjeeves.in and godaddy.in are owned by an individual how is this person not getting into trouble? It seems that the National Internet Exchange of India would be taking care of this problem if they are the ones holding others TM's.

The only two that I found that actually own thier own domains in India are Microsoft (of course) and Aol.

Just sounds like there are going to be a lot of lawsuits on the horizion.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they are probably holding them for the tm owners to claim them. Maybe at a price simular to how .TV is set up.

Note also that google.in and yahoo.in do not resolve to any website, so there is no tm issue there. If they sent all these domains to there own site, then it would be a different story. imagine Google and Yahoo's fits over that!

also as far as askjeeves and godaddy, trust me that guy will not be in control for too long of those names

as a side note, did you know you can type in AJ.com and ASK.com for AskJeeves?

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No I didn't know that about askjeeves I hardly ever use them. But yeah, I was wondering what that guy was thinking, make a few dollars quick, but godaddy.in doesn't even have advertisment on it.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
No I didn't know that about askjeeves I hardly ever use them. But yeah, I was wondering what that guy was thinking, make a few dollars quick, but godaddy.in doesn't even have advertisment on it.

I wonder if GoDaddy.in will use local Indian beauties for the cricket finals TV commercial.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You've never heard of Cricket? It's very popular in India.

Anyhow, I was making a parody of Superbowl.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, that's pretty good. I would suspect that they will do something like that. Have you seen thier latest commercials? Talk about a waste of airtime.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
India tends to be one of the countries where even multinational companies that are very consistent in using the CCTLDs of each respective country for their "localized" branch sites there usually don't use the .in domain for their Indian site, preferring instead to use something like "CompanyNameIndia.com". Another such country is the United States, where they rarely use the .us domain for this purpose. So you see lists of sites like France: FooBarBaz.fr; Italy: FooBarBaz.it, etc., but then India: FooBarBazIndia.com, USA: FooBarBazUSA.com, instead of FooBarBaz.in and FooBarBaz.us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom