Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Many ask but don't give

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that it's always the same people appraising names, I believe I can count them on 2 hands and perhaps a few toes.

I know it's always better to give then receive but if someone appraises/comments about your name you should kindly return the favor :)

Mike

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I feel that if a person needs to ask repeatedly for others to tell them the value of their domains, they probably aren't/don't feel qualified to GIVE appraisals.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it's not a value everyone is looking for but just a " Nice name :) "

I hardly ever post $ values but I will comment just the same.

Mike

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Giving appraisals is not a reciprocal thing. It's kind of silly to ask for or expect an appraisal just because you give one.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think folks such as Namecaster and DrWho ought to be compensated in extra DNF$ for taking the time to do appraisals! These guys ask for nothing in return, and don't kiss people's butts ... and, in the process, teach us a thing or two about our registration techniques. We're better of with them, and there should be a way to thank them ... maybe send them some DNF$ for each appraisal?!! :D
Thanks, guys. :cool:

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
All I am saying is that it would be a nice gesture wouldn't it.

Mike

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed30
Giving appraisals is not a reciprocal thing. It's kind of silly to ask for or expect an appraisal just because you give one.

That's true, however I learn here by reading appraisals, especially from vetrans. It would be nice if a few who don't, would.

What's very ammusing, is when someone posts a name that is clearly worth thousands, and does not require an appraisal. Everybody and their dog wants to post an appraisal. Like Sold.us, Crap.com, Fear.net, MP3.co.uk, and please, put your hand up if you didn't give an appraisal for that questionable domain name file.net! I bet the owner was relieved to hear it was a good name from the 120+ who shared their expertise on that one!:laugh:

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think newbs should even be allowed to post anything in the appraisal section except for new appraisal listings. If I list a domain for appraisal I don't want some shmoe to appraise it just because I appraised his.

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jason, you DO have a way with words!! Nice to see you back here!

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shmoe.net is available to reg:D .org too. hehe

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Winfree, I tell it like it is. You know I have never been one to hold anything back. :D

Nice to see you again too. Now that gregr is no longer running the show I should be a much happier and nicer person.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sharpy,lol i new file.net was worht alot without any appraisals.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by eddie1278
sharpy,lol i new file.net was worht alot without any appraisals.

That was my point.

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(a joke)

just remember....

famous words..

"No good deed goes unpunished"

enjoy the site.... "because you can"

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I post some of my domains occasionally because I am fairly new and don't know how to evaluate domains very well (though hopefully I'm learning).

I don't appraise other people's domains for the same reason.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would expect it to be lopsided. Appraisals are usually requested by persons who have trouble valuating domain names.

Manidatory appraisals, or those induced by a feeling of obligation, would not be good appraisals. Remember afternic? "I appraised your name for $50,000 now do the same for me."

I still feel sore from when I got threatened and critisized for appriasing too low by several AN (now DNF) members. It was manditory that you appraise names not even worth reg fee for minimum $10,000. What a joke.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RJ I couldn't agree more!
At AN if you were appraising high you'd get high appraisals but here I think (hope) most people are a little more atune to the Dn aftermarket. Even a newbie hanging out here for a couple of days can get a crash course in domaineering at least to the point of knowing a really bad name from a really good one.

Sharpy was right on the mark! Great names get tons of appraisals and the people who are really trying to figure out whether or not their name is worth anything get maybe a couple of quick responses.

Oh well. I guess I will go appraise some marginal names now so I'm not a hypocrite.

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not complaining - but it's hard to do an appraisal on a domain when I can't post on Domain Appraisals. Must be becuase I'm a newbe :)

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Return appraisals sound like " I scratch your back, you scratch mine" . And it will be an invitation to high and unrealistic appraisals imho .

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO.....

Many of the members here are buyers, and in that respect, some may not post appraisals for certain reasons:

They may like the name, and want to acquire it, therefore not giving an appraisal or a low value appraisal in hopes of buying at low pricing.

Some may not post because they don't want to "go against the grain" in a thread with has seen good marks or has poor evaluations, and their opinion may be contrary to the concensus.

Others perhaps don't feel comfortable or have the communicative
abilities to express their thoughts.

Some people just don't like the thread starter.....

Some people post the same names over and over.....

Some names, like previously mentioned "file.net" or "Mp3.com" are a safe bet to make a post by those who want to be a part of the crowd, (Although not taking anything away from the names mentioned)

Those that routinely give appraisals of domain names, make up a total part,of the value of DNF.

I would like to see more appraisals given by the administrators of DNF,these are the only people at DNF who I feel have an obligation to this forum. No other person is obligated,however in the spirit of "community", we should all be more willing to contribute, to any threads including the "Appraisal Forum"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom