Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Marijuana Domain and sales in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisb72

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not as bad as the title sounds, a friend of mine owns a cannabis related domain name that HE wants to develop into an information site that sells a disk that he developed with hydroponic info and grow room info or something like that. I had thought that might be some violation of US law or something so I decided to see if anyone here had any thoughts on that or has had any experience with that.

Is there anything wrong with telling people how to setup a grow room?

Is it possible the host would have problems with the site even if it was ok law wise?

What boundaries would be involved if any?

Thanks

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so...you can buy that type of stuff and "tobacco" shops that sell "bowls and bongs" for tobacco smoking.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. Such information alone is generally fine. And that is from my personal experience running some of the most popular cannabis related sites in the world. Many webhosting choices - most don't seem to care; have employees who are stoners :)

However, your friend is likely to run into serious challenges selling such information to growers who typically won't pay for stuff they don't need. Quality growing info is all over the net for free.

Monetizing a cannabis related site legally is very difficult - many of the largest cannabis related sites rely on herbal alternatives, such as Legal Buds (via ads, affiliate, etc), for much of their revenue.

Ron

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the host would have problems with the site even if it was ok law wise?

What boundaries would be involved if any?

The host can kick you off for anything they'd like.

Talking about marijuana is legal in the US, and of course it must be so under the First Amendment.

Selling marijuana, or participating in a conspiracy to sell marijuana, is not legal (with exceptions not worth discussing for the purposes here).

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not that I encourage this sort of thing, but just host the name outside of the USA.

Here in non-parochial EU, you can get seeds delivered to your door from any number of suppliers. However, in most countries you can have seeds, you just can't grow them:eek:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whats the domain name?

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Develop it into a big Jamaica portal :lol:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I do not promote or condone the usage of any illegal substances or the promotion / sale of such substances or related paraphernalia.

Selling marijuana, or participating in a conspiracy to sell marijuana, is not legal (with exceptions not worth discussing for the purposes here).

Head shops get away with this all of the time. If you walk into one of those stores, they'll have a huge sign saying "these are for tobacco use only" (meaning their "equipment"). Sure, six people are going to sit around and take bong hits off of a Marlboro but legally it's a CYOA sign. :rolleyes:

Hydroponics can be used for many things, just look at the popular Aero-Garden.

I think the largest hurdle for Chris' "friend" will be convincing any investigator that a cannabis related domain is not intended to promote the use of marijuana. But, what if your "friend" registered a different name and forwarded the cannabis related name to that, I'm wondering if that would help? (First Name)-Hydroponics.com or something like that?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hydroponics can be used for many things, just look at the popular Aero-Garden.

Back in the 80's there were quite a few orchid growers who were shaken down by the DEA, which had gotten customer lists from grow light advertisers in High Times.

I'd bet that most hydroponic kits are used for legal purposes. I used to have a pepper garden when I had a larger yard, and I miss having fresh peppers. I picked up an "Emily's Garden" and some seeds from PepperJoe.com a while back, but haven't set it up yet.

IMHO a "tobacco use only" sign is not going to be particularly helpful relative to local paraphernalia laws, when the items in question are clearly not adapted to use with tobacco. There was a "Main Street Tobacco Pipes" store in one town in which I lived. They weren't fooling anybody, and were eventually shut down.

I'm always impressed with the artistry that goes into the more ostentatious bongs, and many of them would make suitable flower vases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom