Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Mark Cuban on difference between speculating and investing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"We as individuals can do any of 3 things with our money.

1. We can spend it.

2. We can save it in a manner where we have 99 pct certainty our principal cannot decline. (Typically a bank)

3. We can decide to accept some level of risk in order to earn a return on the cash or assets we have available to deploy.

If we decide we want some risk in our lives, we have the choice to decide where to put those assets ourself, or hire someone else to do it, or some combination.

At this point the decision is made to speculate or invest.

The difference between the two is very simple. If you spend the money and the only way you can earn a return on that money is by selling whatever it is you have purchased. You are speculating.

If you give your money to a person or company, and that money is used directly to create commerce or to create an asset that will be used in commerce and if there are profits from that commerce that can be returned to you as a result, that is an investment..."

"...I do think it’s important to understand the expectation behind money. It can help us understand why irrational exuberance is rational. It can help us understand why bubbles happen. It can help us understand why markets don’t react like you would statistically expect them to so often..."

"...Speculators invest purely to gain an annual return based on the risk they are willing to accept. This has lead to huge businesses competing to attract speculative money. This has lead the public equity markets to evolve from being primarily a source of capital for growing businesses to primarily a means of extracting wealth for insiders and speculators. Companies don’t go public to grow, they go public so people can get rich..."

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000660060351

"Posted Sep 25, 2005, 11:20 PM ET by Jim Parham

Hi Mark,

My Opinion.......A lot of lower and middle class individuals "speculate" because they believe it to be their best chance at attaining a better life. Most average folks don't have the financial wherewithal to seek out real quality "investments." Why do you think so many people stand in line at the corner 7-Eleven, waiting to buy a lotto ticket, or a scratch off? Same concept with stock market speculation....

The rich control the world and the game is rigged. Some people believe they have no choice but to speculate. Just my opinion....

"Posted Sep 26, 2005, 9:32 AM ET by Niklas

Hi Mark,

Did not you become rich "speculating" by founding a company, broadcast.com, that did not generate much dividends but was sold during good times?"

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000660060351

Domain Days 2024

DNPlan

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now I really enjoy the Mark Cuban blog ... bug <grin> ...
Mark Cuban said:
At this point the decision is made to speculate or invest.

The difference between the two is very simple. If you spend the money and the only way you can earn a return on that money is by selling whatever it is you have purchased. You are speculating.

If you give your money to a person or company, and that money is used directly to create commerce or to create an asset that will be used in commerce and if there are profits from that commerce that can be returned to you as a result, that is an investment..."
... I have to disagree with the above characterization ...

If we are to beleive that it is speculative to buy something for resale, then most small businesses like grocery stores, hardware stores, and other retail shops are all "speculation" business ...

Webster's dictionary does a much better job ... they describe speculation as taking on "unusual business risk" ...

Buying a tangible asset for resale purposes in most cases means that if the hoped for sale does not materialize ... you still have something tangible left ...

A lot of stock investments "used to create commerce" have no underlying assets to preserve the value of that investment other than the intangible "going concerns" value of that business ...

In the generic casual way Mark writes above, I would have to say in a very generic casual way that I think the exact opposite is true ... I would much rather invest in buying and selling tangible assets than speculate on buying a stock certificate piece of paper with no underlying asset values <grin> ...

Seriously though ... I love Mark Cuban's blog ... if you haven't read it, it is certainly worth a visit or two ...

Greg

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People should realise that the truth will not be told by the few who know.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
USTrader said:
People should realise that the truth will not be told by the few who know.

Thats why im keeping quite LOL !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom