Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

MarketPlace - Member verifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As we're not supposed to post any links to competitors, so I'll assume most of us know who I'm referring to. BTW, learning from competitors is important. I really think that DNForum needs to start upgrading it's MarketPlace, which should include actual auctioning, most importantly, safety measures for checking ownership of the domain, accessibility to web-site, phone verification, verification of revenue and stats, and other measures.

I realize these will all include excess hours of work, and see no reason why DNForum, shouldn't ask for additional payment for these services, with a discount for "exclusives".

IMHO this will make a major change, and I'm willing to help implement as well if necessary.

Upvote 0

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Each forum has its pros and cons, which I won't get into :D Since one can be a member of both, problem is solved.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Each forum has its pros and cons, which I won't get into :D Since one can be a member of both, problem is solved.

So what your saying is DNForum, is inferior and should stay that way. I agree that the main advantage of the forum is the discussion, but it's time to move on. Waiting for an official response!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that each forum has its own identity. Thank God, DNForum is not a teenage bopper n00b forum, or we'd have to decipher eachother's lingo and post <3 <3 <3 all the time. There is also domainstate - if you like that sort of thing.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that each forum has its own identity. Thank God, DNForum is not a teenage bopper n00b forum, or we'd have to decipher eachother's lingo and post <3 <3 <3 all the time. There is also domainstate - if you like that sort of thing.

I'm not saying that DNForum, needs to copy another site, lower the standards of it's members, or anything of that sort. I don't understand why modifying the marketplace, while taking positive aspects from other sites, like verifying ownership, checking stats, creating real auctions, etc., could or should in any way do anything but improve the quality and nature of the forum.

rentdn

T_T
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually SP is doing quite good , but I do not think that such feathers are important in DNF , yes it's great to see that somebody is selling site and he has phone verified and site access verified logo , the reason SP is doing that is --> They have to do it , cause the percent of scam in that forum and in DP too are very very high

But in DNF almost in each case we know whom we should trust and whom not , overall in DNF the percent of scam is the lowest

Thats why I'm thinking that it will make no difference , at least for me

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats why I'm thinking that it will make no difference , at least for me

As I see it the number and quality of sales here could be improved, especially with web-sites. There are definitely quite a few members, who I feel safe with buying from. But they don't always have what I need.

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not think that such feathers are important in DNF

Feathers?

Personally, I kinda' like the direct B2B interation of this forum. Much better than a false sense of security.

rentdn

T_T
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I see it the number and quality of sales here could be improved, especially with web-sites. There are definitely quite a few members, who I feel safe with buying from. But they don't always have what I need.

Actually it is true , but the reason is obvious too - this is domainers forum and not webmasters

When I'm trying to sell a website or to buy it I'm using webmaster's forums when I'm buying or selling domains I'm using domainer's forums

Everything is quite simple

Feathers?

Nice catch ;)

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually it is true , but the reason is obvious too - this is domainers forum and not webmasters

When I'm trying to sell a website or to buy it I'm using webmaster's forums when I'm buying or selling domains I'm using domainer's forums

Everything is quite simple

Their haven't been too many major doamin sales here for quite a while as well.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Fab, we are revamping the marketplace aspect of DNForum. Regarding the specific points of yours, we have an extreme volume of sales taking place now and verification of anything presented by the members is a burdening task at an unimaginable level. We continue to develop the forum and the site in general and your feedback is important. We are putting effort into redoing the marketplace but the buyers must do their due diligence and verify any stats or other data as suggested by the sellers. One difference is that by having a paid membership base here, we already have the most professional community and it already sets a bar of good standards. We have an account verification system in place but its at the option of the member to participate and wear the seal.
There are few offerings that are able to provide good verification solutions for an international community such as we have here.
Regarding the current state of large sales etc taking place here, its summertime and things are slow this time of year for most domainers and many companies in the realm. Things will pick back up. Great topic though, thanks for posting.

I

impactadmin

Hi Fab,

This has been something we have been trying to work towards.

Finding out the best possible solution is not as easy as it would seem.

We are open to suggestions from everyone to help take this to the next step as we fully support the verification process but we are not sure how to implement it.

We have now begun taking orders via Google Checkout which has a much better fraud and verification system in place then PayPal.

The question is how can any member be completely verified to warrant they are real when there are throw away phones, cell phones that can be disconnected at any time, addresses and emails that can be changed etc.

This is not a thread to say its impossible. This is a thread to see how we can go about this process.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Simple: make the forum invite only. Established members can invite others.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice idea but it would not work since this is a revenue based website which always needs ongoing new members and because few domainers know other domainers to invite. I don't know any domainers personally outside of forums and I have been doing this for more than 10-yrs.

ordersomething

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's how you do it?

Verified members would have to sign up with a credit card.

In order to sell a domain, the billing info of the card on file for that particular member must match the administrative contact info of the particular domain that they are trying to sell.

I'm sure there are automated ways to do this that would totally bypass human interaction, insuring the security of the customer's financial information.

Let's say Visa (for example) charges a fee for this sort of "check / verification."
The fee they charge could easily be passed on to the user (by having them agree to pay this fee), eliminating any financial burden on DNForum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom