Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Microsoft and Yahoo Reach Deal on Search Partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Competition is always good, it spawns innovation. Bing is great, Google had its chance but it's no longer "Not Evil" but quite the opposite.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bing is sending huge amounts of traffic to some of my sites. Still shows up as Microsoft Live but when I check it is actually Bing, the repackaged MS Live.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ruh roh

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Hopefully that also means higher Parked.com payouts :D

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmmm...definitely have my concerns over this one.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The deal might mean several things, and we won't know until we are a few months closer to the deal finalizing. It will probably take until early 2010 for us to start seeing changes.

If there is a complete merge on all advertising channels, including partner syndication, then Yahoo partners will see an increase in revenue in international territories, even perhaps US territories.

The only problem is that we don't know what Microsoft thinks of the domain channel, and what their plans for it are - long term.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Question is...will this be integrated whatsoever into parking with existing platforms using a yahoo ad feed? Donny?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Question is...will this be integrated whatsoever into parking with existing platforms using a yahoo ad feed? Donny?
That's the forty seven point five billion dollar question (the amount Yahoo turned down from microsoft).

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought on how this will affect arbitrage?

I seen arbitrage advertisers advertise on Bing and sell to a Yahoo feed. If it will be one system, it will no longer be allowed. I have a feeling Yahoo/Microsoft will forget about this, then they will realize it, and will start going after arbitrage like Google did with MFA sites.

At the end, I have a feeling second-tier ad providers will cease to exist since they rely on Yahoo arbitrage.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and as far as straight parking domains with traffic using a yahoo feed goes...?

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could be better. Nobody knows exactly how this will work out, but if Microsoft decides to also use its ads in the Yahoo partner syndicated feeds, then it will help with international coverage a lot, and may also help a bit with US as well.

If second-tier were to die in some odd reason because of arbitrage problems (it will die eventually anyway), then the trademark typos or the domains that Yahoo/Google blocked out of their feed will no longer be monetizeable. Right now most parking companies like Bodis or Parked use second-tier as a backup for the domains that Yahoo/Google has blocked. Overall, it makes no sense because second tier is made up 98%+ of Yahoo arbitrage advertisers, so if Yahoo blocks a domain, it goes to second tier, and ends up on Yahoo advertiser sites at the end anyway.

The question is, will Microsoft use ads on the Yahoo partner syndicated feeds? If there is 1 system for advertisers to bid on keywords, then it has to be a YES.

To be honest, I think it would've been better if Microsoft would've seperately started syndicated feeds to domain partners. This way Yahoo companies can just combine a Yahoo feed with Microsoft feed. And Google is strong enough to stand on its own. The Microsoft+Yahoo deal will help things short-term, but long-term it is just 1 less competitor. We are down from 3 to 2.

Overall revenue short-term will probably be better. People with trademark typos will probably be in an even worse position.

Last edited:

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...and Yahoo's curtain call has finally arrived, albeit thinly veiled.

On the subject of Bing.com, I've noticed two extremely peculiar things about the search engine over the last few weeks. The first oddity is that Microsoft is copying Google's index so aggressively, that a new domain or new web page has to appear in Google's index before it will appear in Bing, unless of course it was carried over from the Live.com index. The second oddity I'm noticing is in my network traffic logs, where fake traffic referrals are being generated in bulk by a Microsoft owned IP address. This IP is spoofing Bing generated search referrals, and it's so blatant that in most cases my websites aren't even targeted or ranked for that particular uber generic ultra competitive keyword.

Today's news combined with the aforementioned observations have lead me to the following conclusion. Google will eventually take 90%+ of the US search market, and Microsoft will walk away from the conflict mortally wounded. Why they choose to bring nothing more than ad dollars and a bug infested browser into a death match is beyond me. Just a little techonology might have helped...

Last edited:

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, all that Microsoft knows how to do is spend, spend, spend. They want to buy everything out, compete one very possible product & service, and force their products and software on you in any way they can.

I think they have slowed down the evolution of the internet to be honest. If not Internet Explorer, and all these things they force on us, we would have all been 10 years ahead.

I was just watching an ad Microsoft did with Seinfeld for $300 million dollars. Not only expensive, but a terrible ad. If they'd split that $300 million across all parking companies instead and gave the companies their own feed, the domain industry would be on steroids right about now. And they would have had a 10-30% jump in publisher traffic.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want to see them come up with a competitor to go head-to-head with Adsense.

Its called the PubCenter and I was just approved for their beta testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom