Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

mispelling of large company

Status
Not open for further replies.

wado2008

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I currently own a domain name that isnt the specific company name but is a mispelling of the company name

Once you read the mispelt name you can easily indentify what company it is.

Could this get me in trouble?

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lots of decisions already which have answered this. Yes, if the company has trademarked the name.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trouble?

Awww... heck no. Big companies love it when people register typos of their names. It saves them the trouble of registering these domain names for themselves, and there is nothing that they like to see more than a PPC page collecting revenue for a mis-spell of their name.

You should immediately write to them, tell them how smart you are, and ask if they'll pay you lots of money and give you a personal award at their annual shareholders meeting - maybe even ask if you can sleep with their CEO's wife - that's how happy they'll be to hear from you.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trouble?

Awww... heck no. Big companies love it when people register typos of their names. It saves them the trouble of registering these domain names for themselves, and there is nothing that they like to see more than a PPC page collecting revenue for a mis-spell of their name.

You should immediately write to them, tell them how smart you are, and ask if they'll pay you lots of money and give you a personal award at their annual shareholders meeting - maybe even ask if you can sleep with their CEO's wife - that's how happy they'll be to hear from you.

:lol::lol::lol:

But, to answer the question, yes, you can get in big trouble.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is the sky blue? (During the day... for those of you who are politically correct... ;)) :D

Just FYI: Dell has recently launched a suit against a series of registrars that have been regging thousands of Dell and other corporation typos... the case is potentially valued at $100 million if I remember right... if they were found guilty on all charges.

So yeah... delete the name or let it expire asap, do not park, or go to jail (figuratively) :D

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if they were found guilty

In the civil context, the word is "liable". Civil judgments do not carry the moral weight of guilt.

I think this guy should demand a round of applause at the shareholder's meeting.

if the company has trademarked

Avoid verbing the nounisms.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In the civil context, the word is "liable". Civil judgments do not carry the moral weight of guilt

Yep, thats what I meant :)

I think this guy should demand a round of applause at the shareholder's meeting.

lol'ing as usual :D

wado2008

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback people.....I have since deleted the domains

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trouble?

Oh hells bells...How on earth did I miss this thread???????

This response needs to be a sticky!

What a hoot!!!!!!!

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I second the responses

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trouble?

Love your wit. Would it be alright if I opened up a law office JBeryHill domain advice. I'll give you 10% of gross.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Avoid verbing the nounisms.

Ha, ha, get it. Well said.

It is well-known that trademark is a transitive verb as well as a noun.

But what John means is that you can risk losing a trademark if you let it become a verb in the common vernacular.

Excellent advice, wholly agree.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But what John means ...

Thems usually fighting words. I've seen all sorts of interpretations of "what John means" on these forums.

What we usually confront here on DNForum is that "to trademark" is a verb referring to what one does at the USPTO.

As a verb, "trademark" is to affix one's mark to one's goods or services.

Using "to trademark" in the sense of "to obtain registration of one's trademark" tends to perpetuate the common misconception here that one may have perfectly enforcible rights absent federal registration. Now, this does not apply in all countries, as some countries do not have common law rights. But, I try to encourage folks from using "to trademark" to refer to how one obtains rights in a mark.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
John, the last thing this was meant to be was "fighting words." In fact, I was trying to agree with you.

Fighting over grammar is a waste of your time and mine.

Let's put this thread to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom