Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Misspellings??

Status
Not open for further replies.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its quite profitable, but risky. the company whose name is mispelled, can take the name away from you very easily in WIPO.

P

President Gringo

plus they could refuse you access to their affiliate scheme :p

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're using it for their affiliate program, it's not a big problem. Even in UDRP action, you may have established a legitimate use for the domain. Why would the company have a problem? They would be gaining sales instead of losing the visitor altogether.

If you point it at one of their competators affiliate programs, then you're in trouble.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
If you're using it for their affiliate program, it's not a big problem. Even in UDRP action, you may have established a legitimate use for the domain. Why would the company have a problem? They would be gaining sales instead of losing the visitor altogether.

If you point it at one of their competators affiliate programs, then you're in trouble.

Actually, most sites have a big problem with it. It is in the fine print of most affiliate programs. Why? Simple. You are making money off of their name...you are catching traffic (because of a misspelling) that should go to the correctly spelled site, and making a profit.

However, it is hard for them to catch you. When you sign up, just tell them what site you're puting the link on (not the misspelling) and set up the misspelling to forward to your affiliate address :)

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am doing exactly this with a few major affiliates and not one has had any problem. Of course I am making money off their name. It is an affiliate program afterall. I'm making them money as well. :D

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about if someone has the exact same name in another TLD?
Can he join the affiliate program?
The name of cource is generic.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It all basically depends on whether the company in question is anal-retentive or not.

Some of them look at their bottom line, and realise you're doing them a favour.

Others are ruled by their legal dept, and will shoot their own foot off, in the name of TM protection.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gsk008
They have software tracing that the code comes from the registered site. anybody know how 2 .... mmmm ...... get round it. I don't want to expose the names to them.

as doberry said you need to set up an interim domain name where you place the affiliate links (i.e. myaffilliatelinks.com) and use this in the settings of the affiliate scheme. you then set up a re-direct on your mis-spelt name to forward your visitors to your myaffiliatelinks.com site. this in effect cloaks the domain receiving the traffic from the affiliate scheme...

hope i explained that ok...

Ciq

netznutz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Strange. Do you have access to the webserver
logs of your 2nd inbetween server? What do
you get as 'referer'? I doubt that there's a standard
way to read a browsers full history (would be a strong
privacy issue ...)

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maybe its an agressive cookie or script that was accepted

just a guess

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-

After thinking about this, I'm editing my original post completely...

I know of one case where the trademark holder did go after the typo domain holder and withhold money paid, and went after monies already paid. And CJ upheld it. They didn't even have to take it to a court or arbitration. (For those that don't know CJ is an affiliate broker. And in their ToS, the specifically prohibit this very thing.)

Their position is that they made the trademark famous and now you are profiting from it.

You'd have better luck sending it to a competitor, however, that'd loose too, however it's unlikely the 1st would sue you for the money the 2nd paid you. (But it's possible.)

This is assuming it's a typo on a valid trademarked.

If it's a typo on a common word, that's completely different.

Also, there could be a gray area here.... and this is why I edited my post. I'm going to research this a bit more...

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gsk008
No joy on that! they seem to be able to scan where the hit is coming from even if the misspelling goes threw two other names. they just produce an error message. The only thing I know that should work but I'll lose loads of traffic, is to build a actual site like you said. But losing that traffic :sad: craying sob sob

I dont' think there is any magic going on here, they are just aware of the domain, that's all. They just type it in, and watch where it goes. The information is righ there for them to see anytime they want.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to buy wwwcocacola.com? I have a very nice C&D letter from them. :laugh:

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver said:
Anyone want to buy wwwcocacola.com? I have a very nice C&D letter from them. :laugh:

Lots of gems in the forum wayback machine. hiosilver, 28 months later, care to share how this worked out? Sorry if this turns into a memory tester...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom