Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.MOBI Advice? Anyone Have Examples of Site Using .mobi (for its mobile version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adverted

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wondering what the group here thinks of sites using .mobi for their mobile version of their site?

I am building an SEO community site and have the main domain and recently bought the matching .mobi domain and was thinking of using the .mobi domain for the .mobi version of the site. Now I can't find too many examples of sites using .mobi but wondering if others have examples?

Also any general advice on using the .mobi for a website, anything good or bad is greatly appreciated feedback, thanks!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I would redirect the .mobi to m.yourdomain.com or mobile.yourdomain.com or whatever (.ca ?) - because it reinforces your brand/domain. But it's just me.
For SEO purposes I never heard anything to the effect that .mobi would boost your ranking with mobile users.

Adverted

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yah I don't expect any SEO benefit from using the .mobi the project is just delivering SEO content, reason thought of using .mobi is just to further re-enforce the brand, with both domains having the same branding/main text (minus the extension).

But this is why I asked, as your feedback is helpful. Wondering how many people are actually using the .mobi as that also plays into things, at the end of the day I spent a lot of money and time on these domains so like to try and make it work out as best possible. As if I don't use the .mobi version for the mobile version of the site, then I again have to figure out what to do with the domain.

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
FoxNews.mobi
Snapnames.mobi
GoDaddy.mobi
BBC.mobi
CNN.mobi
Time.mobi
Amazon.mobi
etc
etc

Adverted

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Ulysses,

Don't know where you got that list from but actually only 2 of those sites are using .mobi the rest all redirect/use a different URL for their mobile site. But thanks for the links its always interesting to see what sites are doing.

Stephen

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the rest all redirect/use a different URL for their mobile site.

Why do you think that is?

What reason would Godaddy have for using Godaddymobile.com instead of Godaddy.mobi?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't know where you got that list from but actually only 2 of those sites are using .mobi the rest all redirect/use a different URL for their mobile site.
Did you check on a PC ? Maybe you'll get different results from a mobile device.
But thanks for the links its always interesting to see what sites are doing.
You mean what they are not doing ;)

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To answer your question of anyone using a .mobi domain for their site: I run a free Christian resources website that gets many thousands of visitors a day only on my .mobi and have a #1 ranking in Google for many relevant keywords. Google seems to like my adam.mobi site. I only use my .mobi site, and not a .com or other desktop site currently, as my design scales from mobile screen sizes up to desktop browser sizes. I designed it so one size will fit all visitors.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mobile websites are joke. Responsive web design (RWD) is simple, cheap and effective. There is no excuse to not be practicing this with your websites. How could you possibly benefit from paying another reg fee every year?

Update with the times or be left behind.

-Shane

EDIT: I mean this in the most respectful way possible.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
To answer your question of anyone using a .mobi domain for their site: I run a free Christian resources website that gets many thousands of visitors a day only on my .mobi and have a #1 ranking in Google for many relevant keywords. Google seems to like my adam.mobi site. I only use my .mobi site, and not a .com or other desktop site currently, as my design scales from mobile screen sizes up to desktop browser sizes. I designed it so one size will fit all visitors.

If your site is receiving thousands of visitors and Google likes your adam.mobi site so much, why is it nowhere to be found when you enter the keyword; "Adam"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom