Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

moniker Moniker and SnapNames website update - Sept 27th

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For any who didn't get this email...let's hope all goes smoothly..:)
On Monday evening, September 27th, Moniker and SnapNames will be updating our websites.

We've consulted carefully with our customers to gather feedback for enhancements on our sites. As a result, we have made the following upgrades.

Easier-To-Use: You can now register and search for domain names more quickly while keeping up-to-date on upcoming opportunities for buying and selling domain names at auctions.This includes a more streamlined navigation as well as look and feel.

News & Resources: We've opened, and will continue to add to, a resource center to provide you information and tips. This includes articles, videos and interviews.

Account Management: Moniker Domain Management and SnapNames Auction activities can now be found in the "My Account" area of each site.

>View SnapNames video of changes made in the account area of the sites.
>View Moniker video of changes made in the account area of the sites.

Support Portal: Our support portal now includes an expanded knowledge base where you can submit and track your questions across all of your Oversee.net accounts. The portal is available and monitored 365 days a year.

We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy the changes! As always, please contact us with your questions and feedback.

The Moniker & SnapNames Team

Just a heads up

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker is updated today and I'm not too crazy about the changes.

Domain searches now take longer and it lists the domain TLDs in what seems to be a random fashon. No more .com, .net. .org, etc.. but some random arrange ment of the TLDs.

The site also looks bare and basic.

I just hope I can mass-edit DNS now like I can with GoDaddy (select all the domains, change the DNS once, all of them reflect the change).

tomsa

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the new design is more a downgrade than an upgrade :smilewinkgrin:

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bulk searches are much more of a hassle now:

• You have to open a bunch of tabs to check off which extensions to search; they used to be in one place.
  • Results are shown with available and already-registered domains mixed together; they were, and absolutely should be, listed separately.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I liked the old site better in several ways including easier navigation.

For some odd reason they also removed the quick registration link which was a popular feature on the old site. Easy bulk reg is there but the much more popular single name quick reg is gone.

Also don't like the light gray text color which is hard to read vs the old black text.

Another important missing feature missing is before if you added the extension to the initial registration order the next screen would only register that exact domain but now if you enter the extension it makes no difference and you are required to indicate the extension again and uncheck the many unwated extensions on the next screen which is double work and a slower process.

One more issue is the space allowed for the url on the shopping cart checkout page is too small which means long-tail domains have the right side or the extension chopped off so youi are not sure if the donain being registered is the right one or maybe an error.

And with the old site if the name you wanted was taken there was a place to quickly check the whois right next to the taken name which is now gone and requiress you go to the main menu and click on whois and re-enter the url again.

Plus the top to bottom order of the avaiable extensions for registrations is always random or nonsensical with them arranged in different orders each time you visit the reg page, which is weird seeing it differently each time. and makes errors more likely.

Finally, the good looking and well known Moniker Quill Logo is gone which seems strange since it was real good branding and had been around for many years.

All these thibgs are quite negative for the new website.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The new Moniker is faster. I am transferring my Snapnames' caught domains out much faster now :D

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another important missing feature missing is before if you added the extension to the initial registration order the next screen would only register that exact domain
Yes, I just discovered the same problem. I entered a domain + extension, and it showed that this term was available in many extensions, so now I must "uncheck" all those unwanted extensions. Frustrating & time-wasting.

This is a huge mistake. Don't they run changes past users before implementing them??

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a huge mistake. Don't they run changes past users before implementing them??

Hey Dave...They said they did but I didn't get any surveys...
We've consulted carefully with our customers to gather feedback for enhancements on our sites. As a result, we have made the following upgrades.

I have always just gone to the Bulk Registrations on the right hand side and type in the domain/s I want to register/check "Check entered only" and it checks only the name I entered. (I always did this on the old site as well). They should have an "uncheck all" feature added.
I entered a domain + extension, and it showed that this term was available in many extensions, so now I must "uncheck" all those unwanted extensions. Frustrating & time-wasting.

Last edited:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strange they have a fast bulk registration feature but took away the much more often used quick registration for reg'ing just one name. Also, the list of available domains seems to be randomly based so instead of com net org being in the top 3 positions as it was before, it appears to be done randomly now. For example, I came within 1 keystroke of reg'ing .tv instead of the .com since .tv was at the top even though all other tlds were available and another reason I almost reg'd the .tv is the text was a very light gray and not easy to read. The next time I found .tv first, .asia was 2nd, and 3rd place was .com on the list, and next time I checked they were reorganized again. It appears they never asked any domainer clients to give opinions about the new platform before bringing it out.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What happened to the good old Moniker logo with the quill?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for offering the link Bari but I am going to take a pass on doing that since they should have asked experienced clients to review the new site features BEFORE rolling it out but thanks anyway.

Plus, once a large scale change like this is implemented there is extremely little chance that they'll revert back to a previous version. Look at all the horrible changes Facebook has made only to have their "undo" make matters worse. (This is with almost any company, not just Moniker).

Edit: I just tried to register some .org domains. Normally it would be instant (well, by the time I got back to my domain list).

The 2 .com domains were instant.

The 2 .org domains haven't gone though after a couple of minutes.

Edit #2:
They're all though now - that was a little nerve racking. :)

Last edited:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To be fair, there are also some nice and welcome new features such as before if you wanted a variation of the name such as the plural/singular version, spelling variation or whatever you needed to retype the entire name into a new registration page but now at the bottom of the page you are on the name can be quickly modified without going back to square one.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 111831

DomainSponsor was upgraded also.

I think the old Moniker and DS were better, though these look more Web 2.0. Maybe they are planning to go after retail customers i.e. compete with GoDaddy.

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is going nice and smooth...tried logging out tonight...took a couple of minutes then got this

Error
Error

Error. Please contact moniker. 302 https://moniker.snapnames.com//index.php/site/MonikerHome/ 302 https://moniker.snapnames.com//index.php/site/MonikerHome/

ugh...hopefully it just means they are tweaking it

Good Morning jaydub - I just woke up to a notice that there was a system wide outage....however it has since been corrected/fixed!

Thanks

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is working again for me as well...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the new look and the new control panel is easy to use.

At least those changes make sense and are easier to use the Sedo's hatchet job on their redo and GoDaddy's Daily site changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom