Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

moniker Moniker really a Big Hassle

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenS

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have used Moniker for 1 year. I have given them many opportunities to correct their procedures and processes. They never learn. Here are the BIG problems with them:

It is painfully slow to upload.

Moniker times out only after 15 minutes.

They do not have an automatically system to monetize their Adult Domains with their related Co. - Traffic Club.

They have very few Adult Designed sites so that when you monetize an Adult domain, it goes very often to a totally unrelated website.

It is extremely difficult to transfer a domain name - so if you own a domain thru Moniker they will do everything to keep you from transferring or selling a Domain name.

They still use faxes in selling a domain - very cumbersome and discouraging to both sellers and buyers.

They have very poor customer service and take days, if ever to answer an email.

They are eager to take your money. Once they have it, you may as well forget it.

Moniker is really struggling with automation and being an internet Co.

They are many more problems with Moniker, but these are the BIG ones.

Please let me know if they is a more facile Domain Company that succeeds better on these points.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I disagree with most of those being issues and feel Moniker is easily the best registrar overall. Cust Supt in particular is very good. A large number of big domainers and well known pros have their portfolios there and for good reasons.

The one point I do agree with is the extremely annoying 15-min time out, hardly anough time to do much detailed work such as moving names into categories etc without it timing out and requiring you do the work over again. Some time ago Monte said that was being changed to 1-hr in response to complaints about it but it looks like it never went into effect.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have used Moniker for 1 year. I have given them many opportunities to correct their procedures and processes. They never learn. Here are the BIG problems with them:

They do not have an automatically system to monetize their Adult Domains with their related Co. - Traffic Club.

They have very few Adult Designed sites so that when you monetize an Adult domain, it goes very often to a totally unrelated website.

It is extremely difficult to transfer a domain name - so if you own a domain thru Moniker they will do everything to keep you from transferring or selling a Domain name.

They still use faxes in selling a domain - very cumbersome and discouraging to both sellers and buyers.

They are eager to take your money. Once they have it, you may as well forget it.

Please let me know if they is a more facile Domain Company that succeeds better on these points.

sorry Warren. I couldn't disagree more.
Without doubt Moniker are the BEST Registrar , bar none.
Their staff are exceptional & probably have the best customer supprt in the business imo.
There would never be a problem with refunds if youhave an issue.
They are the only registrar to actually have the ceo as a member here & other staff, who help out.
When a transfer is initiated, the domain is only unlocked for 10 days for security reasons.
They are the fastest growing registrar & very successful.
The timeout is a security feature i believe. There are a couple of glitches on the site but they all have them to be fair, you can work round them.
For transfers in, you can just email customer support with your requirements.
I don't park at moniker to be honest, there are better options imo. Maybe try a different program?
I have pm'ed you a contact.
Pred

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Warren..very strange that your first post here is banishing the best registrar on heart...almost all of the points you bring here are lies....

memmst

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's when you know you're doing something right...when your customers are protecting your brand...doesn't happen too often now days.

From all registrants i dealt with i also say Moniker tops them all.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From someone who just joined up with Moniker, to have someone actually pick up the phone when you call, answer an email promptly, offer discounts simply for being a domainer...they have my vote.

When I was looking to get rid of GoDaddy after all of their fiascos and messes of late, when I asked who other domainers recommended, there were only two mentioned...the other I can not even remember that is how much Moniker has won me over.

If you seriously have an issue, call Moniker and ask to speak to Lee.

I had one email even answered and responded to by the founder and CEO.

Get that from another registrar anywhere.

Memmst said it best...when your own customers are defending your brand, you must be doing something right.

Trust me...folks on this site don't have any problem being truthful and forthright and trashing crappy service and deals, especially when it comes to sh*tty service from registrars.

Might have a plant.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From someone who just joined up with Moniker, to have someone actually pick up the phone when you call, answer an email promptly, offer discounts simply for being a domainer...they have my vote.

When I was looking to get rid of GoDaddy after all of their fiascos and messes of late, when I asked who other domainers recommended, there were only two mentioned...the other I can not even remember that is how much Moniker has won me over.

If you seriously have an issue, call Moniker and ask to speak to Lee.

I had one email even answered and responded to by the founder and CEO.

Get that from another registrar anywhere.

Memmst said it best...when your own customers are defending your brand, you must be doing something right.

Trust me...folks on this site don't have any problem being truthful and forthright and trashing crappy service and deals, especially when it comes to sh*tty service from registrars.

You're spot on Circa! ;)
I have to say Glenda is the legend over there though!
Pred :smilewinkgrin:

leo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Yeahhh try Registerfly :p

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand why most of you guys are backing up moniker. Clearly they are very selective though.

I have had one of my worst registrar experienceswith Moniker. I have never, yes NEVER recieved a reply to my numerous emails, regarding problems on their part, mistakes etc.
I would also agree with quite a few of the points WarrenS brings up,especially the fact they are eager for your money.

By the sounds of it if you have a large portfolio with them you get outstanding service (because they want your money), if you dont, you get jack all. Ironically I do have a relatively big portfolio witch I am planning to move.

Monikers want of money just lost them thousands of dollars of my money!

Also some people are suggesting WarrenS's opinion is invalid because he is a new member... what is your reasoning behind that?

I am not new, I am posting an honest opinion as is everyone else. Bite me.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Also some people are suggesting WarrenS's opinion is invalid because he is a new member... what is your reasoning behind that?

They think its invalid because some who have a gripe, create a new DNF account for the sole pupose of trashing, then hiding behind it. OR discount his post because he's a newbie and perhaps doesnt know what he's talking about...which some signs indicate.

WarrenS

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some people think I am a 'staged' person. Not really, at all. I have over 25,000 domains with Moniker. If they treat me like I've described, what do they do to smaller clients. If many of you are saying Moniker is great, you are indeed saying the industry is in poor shape.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I 100% disagree with you. I would say that in my experience, Moniker has the fastest response of anyone I've dealt with.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let me comment on some of the comments made here.

As of this post I'm still logged inside my Moniker account after 21 minutes. I've
not gone the full hour yet, but so far I've no reason to.

On the average it takes at least 6-7 seconds for Moniker's site to pull up over
at my side. Six to seven seconds is fine for me, though I'd imagine some might
be too "impatient" with that.

When WarrenS said it's "extremely difficult to transfer a domain name", does
s/he mean transferring it from one Moniker account to another, transferring to
them, or transferring away from them? I've not had difficulty with the first 2,
and I don't forsee any hardship since I'm completely aware of their process to
transfer out.

Then again, I currently don't have any reason to transfer out. It so happens I
value security highly.

AFAIR there were 2 occasions it took days for someone to reply to my email. I
do wish they input an online ticket system like many registrars popularly do,
though they do have one (it seems) only to send them feedback.

Many of you are aware (or ought to if not by now) that email isn't as reliable
as it used to be. Relying mainly or solely on email for communication is foolish
if there are other means of contacting the registrar's support.

They do have phone support. Why not use it, especially if the issue is really
that urgent?

Tomclowes says they're "eager to take his money". Name one business you've
"intimately" known who isn't.

All in all, some of the comments here appear to be a "typical" case of Moniker
not meeting someone's expectations. Unfortunately some problems inevitably
occur because of that, especially if those expectations aren't realistic.

To those complaining about Moniker, I suggest providing as many specifics as
possible. The more specifics, possibly the better.

By the way, I currently have one domain name with them (my sigfile). I will be
registering/transferring others with/to them in the near future.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some people think I am a 'staged' person. Not really, at all. I have over 25,000 domains with Moniker. If they treat me like I've described, what do they do to smaller clients. If many of you are saying Moniker is great, you are indeed saying the industry is in poor shape.

You must have a dedicated account rep there with that many domains.

I could see where Moniker would eventually need to discriminate between big customers and small. They only make a small amount of money on each registration. It's expensive to give really good customer service to people you're earning $10 a year from. Just a fact. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. I think you will find that your account rep will have as close a relationship with you as you like (short of showering together). You might find that you get your problems solved quickly if you start talking to your account rep on a regular basis.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
....As of this post I'm still logged inside my Moniker account after 21 minutes. I've not gone the full hour yet, but so far I've no reason to.....

I am fairly certain the 1-hr change never went into effect (at least for me). It times-out until when you go to save what you were working on, and end up losing all your work :eek: or access a different area of the CP. That happens to me after approx 15-min or so every time I need to do time intensive work such as working with the categories, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom