Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

More companies are using .us

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhunterjr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
More companies are using .us
Run the following searches at http://www.google.com to find out how many companies are using .us.

site:.us inc -cc -ci -co -fed -k12 -lib -pdf -state

site:.us inc -inurl:cc -inurl:ci -inurl:co -inurl:fed -inurl:k12 -inurl:lib -inurldf -inurl:state

I got over 600,000 results on search #1
I got over 800,000 results on search #2

These same search numbers were between 150,000 – 250,000 just a few months ago. This shows that more companies are starting to use the .us domain and they are developing many webpages around the .us domain.

If you run similar searches for .info and .biz at http://www.google.com , you’ll get significantly lower numbers.

It could be that we don’t need the extra search terms to filter out government sites from the .biz and .info searches, so I ran the following searches and still got lower numbers for .biz and .info. So this shows that less companies are actually using .biz and .info – than .us as shown above.

site:.info inc -123blahblahblah

site:.biz inc -123blahblahblah

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's interesting stuff Harold. Thanks for the post.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, interesting stuff. Thanks. Now if only people would start typing in .US and other extensions.

It seems most all the true type-ins still go to the dot-com with dot-org ranking 2nd in type-ins, and also in value. IMO.

P.S. I have a good number of dot-org's (most having absolutely nothing to do with charitable organizations) which seem to get really surprising steady true type-in's (so called 'direct requests' in my Weblizer server stats?).

hhunterjr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DnMole,

Those search terms are definitely pulling up more sites for .biz and .info - but are they sites that are run by companies or are they sites put up by "webmasters.?" To me it looks like most of those sites are by webmasters.

To pull up sites by companies, you need to have the term "inc" or "company" or "corportation" in the search.

M

mole

Originally posted by hhunterjr
To pull up sites by companies, you need to have the term "inc" or "company" or "corportation" in the search.

Good point hunt, but extensions like .biz appeal to many small businesses outside of the US or UK that don't necessary feel the need to put the US/English word "company" or ".inc" on their site.

But it is a good point nonetheless.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here are some google searches

-erftghytgfnbhgtyuij site:.de 59,800,000

-erftghytgfnbhgtyuij site:.jp 41,700,000

-erftghytgfnbhgtyuij site:.uk 31,500,000

-erftghytgfnbhgtyuij site:.us 13,300,000

-erftghytgfnbhgtyuij site:.ca 12,800,000

-erftghytgfnbhgtyuij site:.au 10,900,000

.us is only slightly ahead of .ca and .au. and well behind .uk, .jp and .de

The tradeoff is a very small penetration of a large market. I would say 4% of the US market vs 40% of the Canadian market for .ca.

The downside to .us is that it has to compete with not only the established gTLDs but also with .gov, .mil and .edu. And .us is loosing ground to .gov when it comes to official government sites.

The upside to .us is .kids.us I will go as far to say that a .kids.us domain will outperform the corresponding .us in many cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom