Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Movie domains worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunja

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For example Joss Whedon is making a movie based on Much Ado About Nothing. The domain is MuchAdoTheMovie.com. So I instantly checked MuchAdoMovie.com - it's taken (3 days ago) but made me wonder if this kind of buy was worthwhile.

Your thoughts?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For example Joss Whedon is making a movie based on Much Ado About Nothing. The domain is MuchAdoTheMovie.com. So I instantly checked MuchAdoMovie.com - it's taken (3 days ago) but made me wonder if this kind of buy was worthwhile.

Your thoughts?

basically, if you register a domain to capitalize on the domain name or any variation of, the actual movie's name, then that's considered as registering in bad faith and as such it's a strike against you should you be called as a defendant in a Trademark claim.

however, some years ago i caught "jackassmovie dot com" on a drop. i asked for appraisal here and got reg fee to $$ for valuation, even though the domain had traffic.

ended up selling it on sedo for $,$$$

there is risk involved...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bad idea.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bad idea IMO. Potential TM issues and unless it's an absolute blockbuster movie, is there really any profit to be made? I'm going to be honest, I've NEVER gone to a website that was advertised in a movie trailer. Maybe it's just me...

sunja

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts guy, really appreciate being able to mull these things over with you all.

I'm leaning towards 'forget it' too. There's the legal issues, and the fact that even if I manage to get traffic it a) won't last long at all, and b) will be a bit tricky to monetise.

Better to stick to something safer for my tastes I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom