Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Movielist.com -- What Was That All About?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaP

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, I went surfing the Godaddy auctions and came across an EXPIRING DOMAIN that had a starting bid of $10. ... 2 hours before ending it was over $24,000. About 45 minutes before ending, it was at $4,600. Final price was $4750 ... domain was movielist.com

Are people allowed to cancel bids? and this doesn't make sense that there was an owner who didn't renew, so they weren't shill bidding to see what they could possibly get or generate more interest.

Confused!

LisaP

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Regarding above ... it was a no reserve auction.

Now I enter MovieList.com and am brought to a page ... It's your lucky day! This domain is available now. ... button to BID NOW ... I click it, but states
Bidding on item "movielist.com" is by invite-only.
???

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is probably nobody here who can explain this logically.

Unfortunately, you will find that the lack of transparency and regulation in this industry will periodically cause fun little adventures like the one you just went on.

Auctions are always questionable, because the existing auction services give us no reason to believe otherwise.

LisaP

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This post http://www.goldnames.com/domain-name-sales/149 shows movielist.com sold for $ 5746.

What is really true ?

That is probably true for when I was actually watching and hit reload with a few seconds to go and I saw the $4750. When I hit reload again with 3 seconds left, it loaded the auction main site, so I knew it was over ... and went by the last price I saw with seconds to spare.

What is confusing and actually disturbing to me is that 2 hours prior it was at $24,000 and now available again, invite only???

Typing in www.movielist.com in your browser brings up the same identical page from the 28th only now it doesn't go to public auction page where I first came about all this.

Right now ... (but I can't get to it)
This domain is available through
GoDaddy Auctions®.
Auction ends on 5/2/2014 at 2:00 PM PDT
Price: $140.00

Fishy!

Knocks

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The highest bidder didn't pay, so they re-auctioned it as a private auction. Only people who had it on their watch list get to bid this time around. Currently $5,100 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators