Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

moving database driven site to new server: how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Anyone have some tips and suggestions as to transfering a busy database driven site to a new server?
I need to transfer such a site to a new server and am unsure of the methodology to minimize the downtime and to ensure it is a smooth transition.

I've done some googling and came up with the following:

1. Create account on new server

2. Stop the databases being written to on old server

3. Backup old server's databases and content

4. Setup databases and upload them and the content to the new server

5. Goto Mysql manager within cpanel on old server and enter new server's IP address within the remote access host's box, within the database creation page.
This will allow the old server to remotely connect to the database on the new server

6. Edit the Mysql connection scripts on the old server and instead of entering 'localhost' as the host to connect to Mysql, enter the IP address or hostname of the new server

7. Make the database live again as we should be connecting to the database on the new server

8. Login to domain registrar and enter the new server's DNS

9. +24 hours later all traffic will resolve to the new server

So just need to follow the above steps? Has anyone done this before? How did it go?

A few questions:
1. What happens with subdomains? Do they need to be re-created on the new server?

2. What about emails? They will be received at the old server until the new server's DNS resolves, so what's the best way to access/transfer these emails after the traffic resolves to the new server? In other words, the emails received at the old server after the backup was made and before the new one resolves, can best be accessed/transfered how?

Thank you very much

NameWolf

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well if you are using cpanel/whm, I would suggest using the transfer tool provided which transfers the entire site including all the databases and additional settings such as subdomains, emails, messages etc.

Regards,

NW

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi NW,

Yes I'm using cpanel/whm and cannot see a transfer tool or find a reference to one in the help at http://cpanelhelp.uni.cc/
Can you please explain where I find it?
I'm using:
WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.0-C12
RedHat 7.3 - WHM X v3.1.0

Thanks!

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You need to go to your NEW web site, into WHM.

www.newdomain.com:2086 OR www.newdomain.com:2086 OR http://ipaddress:2086

This should bring up a Web Host Manager login box. The CPanel side will not do it. You must have access to WHM, or get the owner of the hosting service to do it for you. You must be able to log in as root. If you can't do this, then contact your hosting service to move the site for you.

If you do have root access to WHM, on the left hand side after you log in, there is a "Transfers" box with menu options under it. There, you can "Copy account from another server" if you have root access to your old server, or "Copy account from another server using account password" if you do not have root access on your old server. Complete the information required, and click on Setup, and you're off. The site will be packed up, transferred to your new server, unpacked, and it's ready to go. Then, all you need to do is update your nameservers.

What you might want to do is set Cpanel on your old site to forward to your new site while the nameservers are updating. That way you won't have your customers adding stuff to the old site that you already moved. You can do this with DNS too if you have root access to WHM on the old box.

Don't delete anything off of the old site until you're sure the move was successful. Also, you may want to give your customers a week's worth of notice that you're moving. That way any connection problems won't frustrate them.

Good luck! I just moved about 120 sites from my old server to my new one, and have 10 days to move the rest of them and cancel my old server! Fun stuff!

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info... unfortunately I don't seem to have root access on either server and access the WHM like so: https://example.com:2087

I'll ask the company who manages the servers if they'll help.

Thanks again!

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yup! Without WHM, that's your only option.

BTW - :2087 is the secure socket for WHM - notice the https: - same difference as :2086.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nodnarb said:
Yup! Without WHM, that's your only option.

BTW - :2087 is the secure socket for WHM - notice the https: - same difference as :2086.

i looked, I have also https and 2087, but i don`t have the transfer, wher do I find it?

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Once you're logged into WHM, if its a newer version, it will come up as WHM/X skin. You're looking for either the "Transfers" icon in the center/main frame of your screen, or on the left-side menu bar, under "Transfers."

NameWolf

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guys,

If you are only using a reseller account, most hosts do not allow this option. If you have a dedicated server then the option is under >>Transfers >> Copy an account from another server with account password or >> Copy an account from another server . As stated earlier in this thread, if you simply request this from your host, they should be able to assist you easily by transfering the site from the old server to the new one. Just make sure you provide them the necessary details.

Regards,

NW

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes NW's correct. Thanks for the help!
My host said they will take care of the transfer (I only have a reseller account) and there will be minimal if any downtime :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom