Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

music copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does any body understand the copyright laws when dealing with licenced music?

more specifically, i have strong links with night club owners who have the licence to play music in their night clubs... however does their licence extend to allow them to create a mix tape and publish it on my website?

the night club owners are uk-based, however the server is hosted in the US.

thanks,
paul

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The night clubs ahave a license to play in there clubs and that is where it stops. If they record the music, that is piracy. So it being on your website would be pirated music in addition to not have a license to play the music on your site.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
how about if they create myspace-like web sites where the music plays, however the music has not been mixed (recorded) ...

could any body point me to the law regarding online radio stations in the US?
I've been told those laws may be useful

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The licence ends at their premises. Any other rendering of the content elsewhere by any means is copyright infringement.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
does any body understand the copyright laws when dealing with licenced music?

more specifically, i have strong links with night club owners who have the licence to play music in their night clubs... however does their licence extend to allow them to create a mix tape and publish it on my website?

the night club owners are uk-based, however the server is hosted in the US.

thanks,
paul

I seem to remember needing a copyright license as well as a recording license. Anyway the whole process is a nightmare and it's even more of a nightmare if you want to upload the recording to the internet. I gave up and chose http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/ - Good luck.

stuartsdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You cannot stream music on any website without the permission of the copyright holder ie.writer/composer.

I have a music site and it is run strictly to the law of copyright, i have written permission from every single artist, I have no rights to there music whatsoever other than to stream and promote on the website.

Venues pay for a public performance license which allows them to play music on there premises only.

A public performance license must be obtained for every single venue that music is intended to be played.

The money they pay is distributed to publishing companies which is then distributed to the writers as royalties.

Please do not break copyright law its not fair and its not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom