Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

My first post...on advice from Webcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I think I am the newest of newbies!! I have been a member at DNF for almost a week.
I am Canadian, but currently living in Grand Cayman (been here for a year and a half with plans to stay for quite a while).
I must say I find this very addictive and have been soaking up as much info as possible on a daily basis.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As of today I do not own any domains, but that will change!!

To the person who turned me on to this...Much Thanks to DCG!

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
crusader said:
Hello everyone!

I think I am the newest of newbies!! I have been a member at DNF for almost a week.
I am Canadian, but currently living in Grand Cayman (been here for a year and a half with plans to stay for quite a while).
I must say I find this very addictive and have been soaking up as much info as possible on a daily basis.

Welcome to DNF :)

My tip – quality not quantity :clown:

- Rob

gptpark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Crusader,

I use GoDaddy.com to register domains, they have a decent management tool and the domains are cheap ($9.20 each). 99% of my domains are .com and the other 1% are .net/.org...the others are crap in my opinion.

I use to add domains to drop services like pool.com, snapnames.com etc. but that got really expensive so now I just watch the drop lists (snapcheck.com is a start) and see what I can find. I also watch ebay for interesting names, but most are way overpriced hoping for a miracle.

I park most of my domains at Sedo.com which provides a good landing page without popups, etc. and also manages offers to buy your domain(s). I have tried several others, and although I might make more money, I hate popups and like the clean look of Sedo although the commissions aren't great (avg 8-10 cents a click).

I have learned alot from this forum and join the chat when theres a crowd. Always check traffic stats out before paying more than $100 for a name (learned from experience), if someone offers you a fair price for a domain don't try to counter with a rediculous amount, they will leave and you will have nothing. I haven't used any appraisal services, since in general, they were all debunked since the 2000 "internet race", but might be a good idea.

Well thats my 2 cents. Good luck!

Chris H.

crusader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks gptpark,

Your advice is appreciated. I was looking at snapnames and namewinner, but I will take a closer look at GoDaddy.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DNF! :)

My Welcome Tip: Beware of email scams where they say they have buyers interested in your name(s) & ask for you to get an appraisal on the name before they will buy.... this is usually followed by them *recommending* some appraisal services for you to use.

What's the scam? They own the appraisal services... make money off you & then dissapear when it's time to buy your name.

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my advice .... don't go swimming until an hour after you eat...

oh... and think outside of the box. The best way to do that is to check out different forums. All the rage on travel and tourism forums right now is the .travel extension that will soon be out there available to qualified buyers, but you might not know that if you didn't surf with a wider net. DNF rocks ... it's like the steak in a 5 course meal ... just don't forget to eat your vegetables...

and with that sage advice... i welcome you!

Vivvy

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
crusader said:
Hello everyone!

How is the weather in Grand Cayman ?
And how is living there? Is it expensive? How much one beer costs?

Thanks

crusader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stuff,
to answer your questions...the weather is ALWAYS great...with a thriving financial industry the standard of living is good with many amenities common in the US and Europe...and the cost of beer, average about $4 US
A great place to visit!!

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My advice if you are looking at getting into parked PPC would be:
  • find the cheapest registrar you can (while still feeling comfortable) anything under $7 a name is cheap, it won't mean much when you have a few names but it all adds up once you hit 100+ names.
  • Go and sign up to EVERY parking service there is, doesn't matter if you don't think you will use it sign up anyway. If you find someone has given you good advice ask them if they have an affiliate ID you could sign up under :eek:k:
  • Don't believe anyone who says "All my names do great at X" it doesn't happen unless they are all generic keyword names with US traffic. If you have a diversified portfolio you need a diversified parking plan.
  • Once you have your names do not be afraid to move them between parking places. Something making 20 cents at one place could be making several $ at another. Also read up on the parking places. Which ones geotarget? Which ones hate anyone outside of the US? Which ones use google/overture/their own search engine for the feeds. Once you find this out then do a quick search on the value of clicks at the various search engines.
  • Then hit some stats on your names, do you have US traffic? do you have Asian traffic? Do you have European traffic? Is it type ins? Is it links? Was there a popular site on the name beforehand? Is it a common expression in some language? is there a website on a ccTLD (eg a .co.uk when you have the .com) Without knowing this you will not be able to optimise your parking decision and keywords.
  • When registering your names find a system that works for you. Someone else might have a great money making system but if it takes 1000 regs to find 200 profitable names it might not be what you are looking for, you might be happier spending more time registering 500 names and finding 200 profitable ones.
There's a few more tips out there but i'll leave it at that for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom