Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Name.com Kicks Out Customer Because Of DDOS Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So future wars will be fought using the internet (the DDOS was ordered by China's security service aka, the Chines goverment) hmmm. That doesn't seem like a friendly political move.

Name

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
funny, Chines goverment attack an ordinary site?
Talk about Boxilai is allowed

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ironically the blog itself seems to be down:
Error establishing a database connection

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
instead of taking care of the customer they kick him on his ass.

Domainsite.com name.com are owned by same company. Hope they have handled this other way around.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enom kicked out the customer as well:
Name.com quickly dumped the problem on eNom by helping Buxon.com’s owner transfer the name there. eNom didn’t want to have anything to do with it an fobbed it off on German domain registrar 1&1. That’s where the domain is at the time of writing.
http://domainnamewire.com/2012/04/22/bo-xilai-domain/

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't say I am surprised. Registrars are volume businesses, nobody want to deal with shit for < $10.
However I am surprised that registrar (and parking companies) don't seem to have any particular protection against DDOS attacks.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought it was even more sad that they had to sink to using 1&1. Looks like that didn't last long either though. Now it's redirecting to a Chicago company. And the registrar seems to be namecheap. Edit: Nope, looks like the registrar is still 1&1. Maybe a reseller account?

Last edited:

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can't say I am surprised. Registrars are volume businesses, nobody want to deal with shit for < $10.
However I am surprised that registrar (and parking companies) don't seem to have any particular protection against DDOS attacks.

Even no body want to deal with shit for less than 10 bucks!

But come on, company need to protect its customers rather than customer is spending 10 bucsk or 1000's. It is the duty of business man to protect its customer rather than dumping them simply avoid the issue.

This is one of the worse practice I have heard or come across. I will never ever buy any shit from name.com or will always recommend my friends to do the same.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But come on, company need to protect its customers rather than customer is spending 10 bucsk or 1000's. It is the duty of business man to protect its customer rather than dumping them simply avoid the issue.

Has it occurred to you that Name.com's other customers could've been affected as well if Name.com continued hosting Buxon.com while sustaining DDoS attacks from that? If - knock on wood - the same thing happens with another registrar, what then?

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thats really lame of both name.com and enom. Sure i get the part 'affet other cutomers' but imagine they would drop any customer because osmeobdy treat ddos on them. Its just lame also such companies should have hardcore ddos cloud protections. I wonder if GoDaddy even tho SOPA proactive would take the 'ddos'.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has it occurred to you that Name.com's other customers could've been affected as well if Name.com continued hosting Buxon.com while sustaining DDoS attacks from that? If - knock on wood - the same thing happens with another registrar, what then?

well totally understood, but rather than being a big or small customer, customer should be protected instead of getting kicked.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't believe DDOS attacks still exist.

Sadly, yes. I know from experience.

So future wars will be fought using the internet (the DDOS was ordered by China's security service aka, the Chines goverment) hmmm. That doesn't seem like a friendly political move.

Yep and other countries can't do much about it - will the US military go to war because some kid has an anti-China website that got DDOS by the Chinese government? Nope. They can pull this because they can (and will) get away with it.

This is also surprising - and scary.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Some if not all actually do, and they're all aware of the reality of DDoS attacks. Probably think of bank A using only security people, while bank B uses security people, WiFi cameras, etc. based on what they feel they can (or should) afford.

well totally understood, but rather than being a big or small customer, customer should be protected instead of getting kicked.

Absolutely. But...only if you can realistically afford to without having to sacrifice others if it can be helped.

Anywho, Name.com posted an update since then. At least they're honest, which can't be said the same of other providers.

Then again, even too much honesty isn't probably good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom