Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.Name extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The new .name extension...any value for the future?

Thanks.

M

mole

Nope, .name is too anal. It's like saying "Hi, I'm Mike, Mike the Man" heheh.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is more like, "Hi, my name is Mike. Mike is a name!" Well, Duh! Easily the stupidest extension of all time.

smonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Duke,

Read your DN Journal every week (for the latest sales).
Good job!

Also, lived many years in Tampa. In NC now
but still root for the Bucs!

Anyway, hypothetically...what type of value do you
think business.name, loans.name, wallstreet.name, etc,
will be worth in 3-5 years?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
smonline said:
Hi Duke,

Read your DN Journal every week (for the latest sales).
Good job!

Also, lived many years in Tampa. In NC now
but still root for the Bucs!

Anyway, hypothetically...what type of value do you
think business.name, loans.name, wallstreet.name, etc,
will be worth in 3-5 years?

NC is nice too smonline. Have a daughter who went to college at Western Carolina and another who is considering Duke in Durham NC. My guess is .name will be about the same 3-5 years from now as it is now (which is to say not much). Just can't see it going anywhere or a business ever using it, especially since the extension was specifically made to be for non-business, personal use. With second level names like those above it is my understanding that you can even get email at the domains (due to the original 3rd level domain setup .name started with). I'm interested in most extensions, but .name leaves me cold.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree .name will never have much potential as its for personal uses.

Duke: Just checked out the NewNames.info site.

Well Done!

Great Idea to promote the idea of the "New Names" :-D

- Jordan

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
Agree .name will never have much potential as its for personal uses.

Duke: Just checked out the NewNames.info site.

Well Done!

Great Idea to promote the idea of the "New Names" :-D

- Jordan

Thanks Jordan. I think new extension fans will love it. CNO only folks might find it a bit irritating though! :)

Just finished it last night. I'll write some more about in a new thread later. Right now I am putting together some banner ads for it. What people need to keep in mind about this site is that it is "marketing" not "journalism". I used humor and the time honored marketing tactic of making your competitors look as bad as possible while emphasizing only the good points about your own product. Since most of my income is now coming from New TLD sales I decided it was silly to keep them buried under the CNO at BrandsPlus, so I gave them their own site.

smonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL..."I used humor and the time honored marketing tactic of making your competitors look as bad"

Looked at the picture for .net... skinny wimpy dude, eh?

Again, LOL...I've got some good .nets!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
smonline said:
LOL..."I used humor and the time honored marketing tactic of making your competitors look as bad"

Looked at the picture for .net... skinny wimpy dude, eh?

Again, LOL...I've got some good .nets!

I have some close friends that do well in this business who tell me they do fine with .nets - maybe they just have a better eye for what to choose in that extension than I do as I have never had any luck with them. Whether its .net or .name, we can tell you we don't think they're any good, but the best way to find out for sure is to test some of them yourself. If I hadn't ignored the majority opinion and gone with my own instincts in several areas I would have left a lot of profits on the table!

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been following dnjournal for a while now and love it.
The new site is great too, just a little on the heavy 'offensive' side against .net and .com though.
Comes out a little like, 'wel, I couldnt get any good .coms or .nets, so here is a second chance'.

Just my opinion, and I am a HUGE .info fan

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
Comes out a little like, 'wel, I couldnt get any good .coms or .nets, so here is a second chance'.

Probably comes out that way, because that's the way it is! :-D

I have no problem admitting that. That's why the new extensions are doing so well. It is a second chance for millions of businesses who have been priced out of the .com market. As far as .nets, I didn't want them in the first place. I would generally take any of the new extensions over .net, with the possible exception of three letters and extremely strong one-worders.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
using it, especially since the extension was specifically made to be for non-business, personal use. With second level names like those above it is my understanding that you can even get email at the domains (due to the original 3rd level domain setup .name started with).

didnt they fix that???
If not, so what you get basically is a domain with no email???

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
didnt they fix that???
If not, so what you get basically is a domain with no email???

To my knowledge nothing has been "fixed" or even can be fixed because of the way their 3rd level system works. I was on their site just a couple of weeks ago and their FAQ explains why you can't have email on these second level names. In addition to it being a lame extension just on the face of it, that lack of email is a killer in my mind - especially for their main targetted audience - personal users (not too good for someone who would want to use it for business either).

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
To my knowledge nothing has been "fixed" or even can be fixed because of the way their 3rd level system works. I was on their site just a couple of weeks ago and their FAQ explains why you can't have email on these second level names. In addition to it being a lame extension just on the face of it, that lack of email is a killer in my mind - especially for their main targetted audience - personal users (not too good for someone who would want to use it for business either).

Just revisited the .Name registry and confirmed it - NO email on second level registrations. Here is the passage from their FAQ:

"Will there be any email service on the second level domain registrations?

No, the second level domain registrations will be entirely delegated to the Registrant's nameservers. The Registry will therefore (and can technically not, since the domain is entirely delegated) not be providing any email service on second level domains registrations, like is done for third level registrations ([email protected] as the email address for the registered third level domain peter.morgan.name)"

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so what was the purpose of adding 2nd level regs???

I regged quite a few on the assumption that email would work, I mean come on, a domain with no email...
Of course, I should have checked, but one takes it for granted these days...
What a lame name.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
so what was the purpose of adding 2nd level regs???

I regged quite a few on the assumption that email would work, I mean come on, a domain with no email...
Of course, I should have checked, but one takes it for granted these days...
What a lame name.

The purpose of adding 2nd level regs was to try to save their butt economically because no one was buying their original idea (3rd level). The fact that the buyer gets hosed apparently isn't a concern for them. The email "gotcha" is not mentioned unless you dig into the FAQ.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some of you seem to be misunderstanding the "no email" FAQ. What it means is that the .name registry doesn't provide e-mail forwarding like they do with third-level registrations -- e.g., where you register joe.blow.name and also get the forwarded 2nd-level e-mail [email protected]. As that FAQ says, if you register a second-level name like example.name, it's delegated to your name servers just like any other normal domain registration; this allows you to set up e-mail addresses all you want, like [email protected] and [email protected]. But you, or your hosting provider, need to do this; the .name registry isn't involved.

There is sure a lot of misinformation going around about the new TLDs.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One more thing... you can't register a second-level .name domain unless there are no third-level names already registered under it; that means that if britney.spears.name is already registered, nobody can register spears.name as a second level name.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, thanks!

I thought it was just tooooo weird not to be able to have emails with that extension!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Dan, So are you saying emails will only work on 2nd levels assuming the same person also owns the 3rd level?

Also, if I already own the 3rd level name can I also buy the 2nd level name, or do I already own the 2nd level name perhaps?

This sure is confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom