Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.name

How long will it take for the new tlds to gain recognition and be more commonly used?

• It's happening right now!

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Soon: 1-4 years

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 5-15 years

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 16-70 years

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Not in my lifetime

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Never

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lreh83

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We all know that ICANN's newly approved global domains (info, biz, name, etc.) haven't and probably won't become popular anytime soon. I still have yet to see a single .name domain for a personal homepage or email address. The question is: how long will it take for the new tlds to gain recognition and be widely used by people and businesses? I think I speak for most when I say .com will always be king, but what do you think?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think .name will ever go anywhere. I think .info and .us will be alright in the long run, not so sure about .biz (sounds way too informal for most big businesses to accept it. Not as bad for small businesses).

I never say ALWAYS about anything, including .com.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://Baby.Names.name

I think I was one of the first people to reg a .name..they will never be very big..I got simply for the keywords.

and yes the other domains are already popular, thosands of .info and .biz sites up..

Posters.Biz is going great for me..even gets natural type-ins

lreh83

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.us isn't really a new tld, is it? As I recall, .us has existed for a long time for community sites, but just became public recently.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it should be left alone...and not bombarded by squatters, so if down the road, you want to register your legal name..it will be available, and you won't have to buy YOUR name from a squatter...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my mind (and I may be in the minority), Posters.biz works just fine though I can't imagine IBM.biz or Microsoft.biz. It works well with entertainment and things that are kind of hip - Music.biz is great and Show.biz is an obvious killer. The new TLD's open up a lot of options and you can now pair up root names with more appropriate extensions to get a name that looks and sounds great. I think widespread acceptance will come for the new extensions over the next few years.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I can go with that Duke..thats how I have felt all along..but then that same line of thinking in my view crosses over into all the extensions..some fit perfect..some fit just fine and some dont fit all ...

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
tens of thosands of of John Smiths..so which one gets John.Smith.Name ?

The first John Smith to reg it, obviously...

My point is, don't register it unless your name is John Smith!

It pisses me off...its the same as cybersquatting on a TM...if your name ain't John Smith, don't register John.Smith.name, and try to sell it to him for $1k...thats extortion.

.name is for Your name, not other peoples...

Just my opinion (but I believe it is also fact).:eek:

lreh83

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the restrictions on .name? Not the intended use, but the official restrictions

mohno

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's one of my big mistakes to register some .name domains.
I was quite newbie in the domain world.
Fortunately, I can make a little money from a .name domain with 80hits/day traffic :)

lreh83

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
may I ask what it is?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
Sure I agree with that doberry..

.name isnt going anywheres anyway..it's pretty lame..

Agreed. I don't think you have to worry too much about squatters in that namespace. They won't have anyone to sell to so there is no incentive for them to reg them in the first place. I regged myname.us and I think most people in America would rather do that (or one of the other major TLDs if available) rather than .name which sounds completely goofy to me (you would have to be pretty thick to see someone's name and still have to be told that it is a name by the extension! I can figure that out on my own - thank you very much)

mohno

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
> when people don't tell the name in their first post, it means they are uncomfortable to disclose it.

:)
Anyway, it is not a people's name :D

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stay away from .name
It will never fly

D

dkny

it's pretty interesting that the poll is now 1 each equally...

if you want to reg for sale, you need to find an extremely excellent name, otherwise, don't waste the money. .name won't last long. it's gonna die like .net.uk.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.info isn't bad for the right site. I've been offered $600+ for one of mine. I really like it for informational sites.

.biz will work for some sites that entered the internet late and ended up with long names or unfitting .cc .ws or .org names. Still will never be equal to .com, but in many industries without large dominant companies that's okay. I'd rather be candy.biz than something like smalltowncandystore.com. especially when priniting the long name on vehicles, business cards and typing it.

.name may have a chance just to survive if they do some of the universal ID things they originally announced, but it will take a very long time at this rate, and is pretty useless for other than individual homepages and mail forwards. It's really too expensive and complicated with the third level web names and second level email combo. It will never be something you can sell though.

.us works well for the right customers in smaller US businesses or patriotic type sites. I have a couple geographic names in this area like OhioRiver.us and MammothCave.us that make sense for specific US locations or destinations. I really intend to keep them for future development myself.

I think any global TLD is good for the smaller businesses that don't rely on type-in addressing or target the name to the fitting TLD. No, they're not dot com's, but again not every mom & pop restaurant business is a McDonald's either.

I did think the .coop and .museum were targeted at pretty limited sectors though and poorly selected. Some of the new.net TLD's would have been better, like .shop and .inc. I'm sure there's more shops than coops and more corporations than museums that could benefit form designated TLD's.

Just an opinion...mileage may vary.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains
[BI did think the .coop and .museum were targeted at pretty limited sectors though and poorly selected. Some of the new.net TLD's would have been better, like .shop and .inc. I'm sure there's more shops than coops and more corporations than museums that could benefit form designated TLD's.
[/B]

A bit related:

http://www.demys.net/news/02_oct_21_ftc.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom